The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at alternative ways to treat for worms and have heard about the use of pumpkin seeds. Any info or advice, suggestions or so on, would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Pumpkin seeds do offer many benefits but I would not use as a stand alone de-wormer. I use Land of Havilah Parasite formula and Wild orange ess. oil weekly and add other Ess. oils during heavy worm season or as needed. The LOH formula has done a great job here.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our fear is our goats developing a resistance to the dewormer. We realize that we have to deworm based on several things: FAMACHA score and fecals are at the top of the list. We check FAMACHA of all our goats (from 17 to 25 in just 3 weeks thanks to 4 sets of healthy kids) every 2 to 3 weeks. We watch how they are behaving and if they are eating. Anything out of the ordinary, we investigate immediately. We take random poop samples every week. We do not want to treat when they do not need to be treated but we also are looking for alternatives to fill in the gaps. How do you get them to eat pumpkin seeds? Is it 2 tablespoons per goat per day?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
That’s a very legitimate fear. Instead of jumping to pumpkin seeds, I recommend picking up your slack and lengthening times in between wormers by using an herbal blend. I recommend Land of Havilah’s parasite formula. Worms will not build a resistance - yet it is much much more effective than pumpkin seeds.

Pumpkin seeds are great, but not nearly as effective as some other things and they are not a sole dewormer even when you still have chemicals to use.

But to answer your question, two tablespoons per goat per day or in other words “a small handful” and mine love em as treats. They eat them right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts