The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went and bought an English Springer Spaniel puppy.it will be coming home with me in 6 weeks. I also have a mixed herd of 9. I also just got my first registered Nigerian Dwarfs.(previously I had bigger goats) so what I'm wondering is do any of you have any experience introducing a puppy to a herd of small goats successfully. she is meant to be a house dog, but I would like her to be able to share the pasture with the goats when I leave the house. my goats play pretty rough with each other but I'm afraid that the dog would just chase them. I know this breed is not really livestock guardian dog but would it be okay to teach her to stay with the goats. they're supposedly very easily trainable and smart. I just want everybody to get along.how do I do this?

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I really wouldn't leave a dog in with the goats. Can you build another area or put up the dog kennel panels for another area for the dog? So many things can happen.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy , how exciting :D:D:D
Pictures please once she is home :):):)

You can start introducing her by holding her and letting the goats sniff her. I wouldnt put the puppy down just yet , being a playful pup , all she will do is chase them , lol Not a good introduction.
Once you start working with the pup and teaching attention games , you can incorporate the training with a goat or two in the distance .
Enough distance where the goats are content and grazing ,only mildly interested in the pup cause they have met her before and had no bad interactions . Recall work is a wonderful thing to start early.
Once the pups attention is on you and you feel confident , get closer and closer to the goats. This can take weeks , months , depending on how much time you put into the training and conditioning.
Also using a long line is great , just in case. But only work at a long distance with it , so there is no danger of wrapping up a goat in it in the process. A 6 or 8 foot leash is maybe a better choice.
But all this is way after the pup has grown a bit of course and is leash and collar trained. You can introduce them slowly in the beginning , but the main thing is never let the pup chase the goats , thats why I wouldnt put her down with them just yet. Even if she is leashed , they pup will have a bad experience with the leash and the goats will also decide the pup is not to be trusted. Not what you want , so take it slow.
I doubt the pup will have much interest in the goats after a couple of months if done correctly. She will have other interests on her mind because of her breed , but dogs are as individual as we are , so that may not hold true , lol
Incorporating a toy in your training will also keep her eye on you .
Use a interactive toy that she likes , and she will learn to play with you around the goats :)
Of course all the above training is heavily rewarded , I haven't mentioned this cause I know you know that ;)
Remember not to feed puppy before training , and you can always use her meal ration as her rewards so she doesn't gain any extra weight.
The value of the rewards may have to be increased as time goes on.
From kibble to say chicken or some other treats she cant pass up.
This also will keep her attention on you . A hungry pup is easier to work with then one with a full tummy :) The goats immediate response will most likely be flight , unless they are used to dogs.
They will learn you will not let the puppy hurt them and they do not need to be so concerned. So remember to be consistant . The pup will learn , but the goats may not be very forgiving.
One more thing I might add is exercise the pup and get the WAAWAAS out of her before training , lolol Trying to train a goof ball puppy is never fun , lolol

Sorry for the short novel , but dogs and training is what we do :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I would not consider leaving one of my personal dogs in with my goats or trying to train one to stay with them. Just way too risky. Especially a springer spaniel...they're known to be pretty energetic and outgoing. I'd definately build a dog run for her instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only have pet wethers(1yr) in the back yard and my dog, Benzley(7-he is a 10lb chihuahua) does not chase or bark at the goats and never has BUT the goats will still try to butt him if he gets in their way or crosses their path. I couldn't imagine what they would do if he tried to chase them. I have actually seen them run him off the deck while he was wanting for me to let him in-I got onto them of course...I would not leave him unsupervised with them.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
You can most certainly teach her to leave the goats alone using Trickyroo's advice. As for letting her guard the goats unsupervised, I think it's possible - maybe - but you have to be REALLY confident that they get along. Also, what kind of predators would she be guarding against? If it's just hawks and raccoons, I think she'll be enough of a deterrent.
I find that a big part of it is getting the goats used to the dog - so they don't flee, snapping the dog into "chase mode."
If you think it's wise, it might be a good idea to introduce them while she's small. If she does try to chase them, one good butt should teach her that goats shouldn't be messed with!

In any case, I would definitely not leave her alone with young goat kids, which are a very strong temptation - to our dogs, anyway.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have the opposite issue. The dogs are scared to death of our goats, because the goats attack them. Sometimes when walking past the dogs, the goats are just fine. Other times they have caught us all off gaurd and brutally ram our lab in the stomach. I have been more careful with our chihuahua, because she is small and would bite them if attacked. That said, the young kids were always out with the dogs when we let them out to play in the back. The two kids we sold just ignored them, but of course the one we kept isn't a fan of dogs either. So, it is not a good idea to leave them together because the goat or the dog might get a bit rough. Definitely always supervise them when together and be very careful! :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would never leave any dog other than a LGD in with my goats under any circumstances. Too many things can happen, and I can't think of a single one that is good.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I totally agree with the fears about leaving a dog in the same vicinity as goats and I wouldnt recommend it. But with that said , adriHart does want to accustom her new puppy to her goats and to make sure the pup grows up right and respects them. That is commendable :)
I personally wouldnt leave any dog in with goats at anytime.

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all , I appreciate your advice. after reading your responses i have decided that I probably will not be putting the dog in with the goats by itself. I didn't want it to be a guardian for the goats, I just wanted it to have company when I left it home to go to the store or such. I have a few puppy sitters lined up for now, but as the dog grow up I would like it to be able to be trusted with the goats. after all, we spend a lot of time outside and I would like for them to be comfortable with each other.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
The key is to get the goats used to the dog rather then the other way around. So bring that pup out with you as often as you can when you are visiting your goaties. The more calm the goats are the less likely the dog will get excited and chase em. The goats need to learn they are the boss in their area. A goat that doesnt run is also much less fun to chase :) Here we brought home a 10 month old Min Pin from the pound last year and he instantly wanted to chase the goats. I got the BB gun and with 1 to 2 pumps (depending upon distance) it only took that dog 3 shots to connect pain and goats together and we have never had an issue since. For those of you who think it might be a cruel method, a few things to think about. with 1 or 2 pumps on a BB bun at a distance of say 30 feet, the impact is less then a paint ball by A LOT! Also, try to catch and discipline a 10 month old Min Pin in time enough for him to understand why he is in trouble.

But back to introducing him to the goats, do it now and do it often. The better they know each other the less likely something will happen late on. Regardless of what you do, never let that dog think its a fun time to chase the goats.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
CUUUUUTE! Congrats on buying her, and we'll want lots more pics as she grows up! :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Awwww , so adorable adriHart , congrats again :)
Maybe you will just have to get to know her before you name her.
Sometimes their personality chooses their names , lol.
Here are some ideas though.

Cricket
Vera
Ivy
Rumblline
Sylvia ( love that name , also like "silly Sylvia for a puppy , lol )
Tucker
Remy
Jilly ( friends dog )
Timely ( friends dog , same breed :)

I dont want to go crazy , although I did long time ago , lol People here
love to help out with names ,me being one of them :) So Im sure you will get some greats ideas !

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering it but I'm home Alot, so I don't see the need for one. She will just always be with us.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Considering it but I'm home Alot, so I don't see the need for one. She will just always be with us.
That's great :):):)

One thing though , if something happens and you have to go out and can't take her with you, she could have separation anxiety or just be really miserable.
And , at night,it's the safest place for pups to rest.

If you make the crate a nice place to be , pups and dogs look at it as their safe zone , a place for them to go and be by themselves or just to have some peace.
I still have crates set up in my house and some of my dogs will seek out their crates to rest . I always keep the doors open on them.

If you are interested in crate training , I can help or you can even google it and you will find some good theads on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I am glad to see I am not alone with goats and dogs together.
We had 4 bird dogs. 2 pointer, 1 setter and a German Shorthair and they did okay with all of the goats. The two pointers are in kennels. My big male pointer (2yr old) did attack a wether with I exercising him. I caught up to them before any real damage was done and "took care of the problem". He doesn't like goats any more and that little wether grew up to be one of the best in the bunch. It probably would have been different if we had introduced the goats to them when they were pups. The two older dogs just walk around in the middle of the goats with us, or alone. They aren't full of piss and vinegar like the younger two are.

Now, we just brought home two baby ( 9 weeks old) English Setter pups. Thats right six, as in (6) bird dogs. We also have two little bottle babies that come up to the yard for their bottles. The pups will chase the goats, the goats and pups with chase human kids, and so far the pups have not tried to get aggressive with the goats. If they do we will repremand them for it and move on. At this point the goat kids could thump the pups if they wanted to.

It can be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts