The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with parvo? I do not and I need some home remedies or help with what to do with these puppies since I feel like the vets couldn’t kick us out fast enough.
The one puppy is on the mend. She says she is starving to death after being at the vets for 24 hours on fluids and meds. I’m not too worried about her. We are doing small meals and full access to water.
The other one is BAD! I am pretty sure every bit of fluids they gave him came out the back end on the way home and came out the same consistency, like I am tempted to burn the truck and call it a loss. He won’t eat he won’t drink. The vet told me he would be fine on fluids until Monday so didn’t give me any fluids BUT I do have some here I can use. She literally gave me antibiotics and anti nausea meds and told me if he doesn’t feel better by Monday come back. This is also the same vet that misdiagnosed their mother and she died……so yeah……
I’m going to pick up pedialye tomorrow and start drenching him. I read charcoal but is that a good idea? Also peptoe? Any other suggestions that is not some rare and endangered herb that can only be found on the far corner of the earth that will get here after he has either recovered or died? Something I can get from a grocery store or feed store?

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
I'm not sure..but im thinking the jello flavor won't matter..as it's the gelatin that is needed. They make an electrolyte that gels up as well.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Chicken, turkey or beef baby food mixed with vanilla flavored Kao-pectate thinned enough he can swallow it easily. feed as much as you can get him to take every two hours. Baby food is for strength and Kao-pectate is for the diahrrea that often dehydrates them. How old are they? Are they eating good? (Other then being sick at the moment)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Poor pups. Poor you. Hope you don’t have to burn your truck.

I’d never heard Jello but it actually makes perfect sense. Storing that info for the future. I’ve had two pups with parvo in my lifetime. The first one we caught early and she got excellent treatment at the vet. She was only off food for 24 hours. The other one survived the roughest days on syringe fulls of pedialyte and some IV fluids. I hope your pups get feeling better soon. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys. I thought the one was improving this morning, he actually drink some water on his own and was sitting there wagging his tail at me. You could still tell he was sick but not just laying there. He passed the water (diarrhea) a hour or so later and is back feeling like crap.
I got him some lemon jello and some chicken and Rice and just drenching the water out of it. He will not eat.
Both were sent to the vet as soon as they showed signs of not feeling well. Phil was my main concern, he was off the one day but it did cool off a lot here, then the next he had a little green snot. They wanted me to wait until Monday but when he threw up I made the appointment. So I hope that works in their favor.
Windy finally passed some poop (the healthier puppy) and is just a little loose. Poor girl thinks she is starving to death so just giving small meals often to make sure I don’t upset her stomach.
Thank you all so very much! This is such a nightmare

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
Pumpkin is good too. Prayers for your pups!

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
Yes..puree the pumpkin. I keep a can on my shelf..but fresh is amazing. Boil it to soften and puree it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
His pumpkins are so far from being ripe. What about pie filling maybe?
Fingers crossed no massive blood poop again after this morning so he at least is able to give the fluids he is getting time to work. I think I am going to demand IV fluids from the vet in the AM and if not I’ll figure out how to put this catheter in him and do it myself. He is dehydrated just not crazy dehydrated yet

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
So, nobody is able to understand NOTHING but jello? Water is probably the worst thing you can give by mouth. The jello has everything that pup needs to survive for several days and doesn't cause vomiting or dehydration like regular liquids do.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts