The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some Nubians worth purchasing. The owner admits she has too many goats as she had knee replacement surgery in Jan. and is caring for her elderly father who is on hospice. She loves and cares about her goats but is overwhelmed. Well, she sold me 2 prego does and threw in another one, Clara (for only $25-wanted her to go to a good home). Clara was born last Oct. Her momma died and Clara has been struggling with worms all year. The vet checked these goats poop and the verdict is they have a boat load of worms. I have a feeling all the goat's poop was combined into one examination. Only Clara's poop looks wrong, the other two are pooping nice berries. Clara sometimes poops pudding, other times it is clumpy. Also the girl's growth is really stunted and she is skin and bones. The vet had me treat everyone with Cydectin, which I plan to do again. I have started taking her into the milking stall and feeding her some grain. Clara is a really timid girl so it takes effort on my part to make sure she is getting her share of the food. Besides grazing, a little alfalfa and grain, what else would be good to get to fatten up this girl and get her healthy. She really is skin and bones. And even though she is 6 months older then my 5 mth old kid, she is only slightly bigger.

016.jpg
Bella, Belle, Clara

Attachments

·
14,615 Posts
They sure dont look bad for being wormy! I'd get a cocci check for Clara & go from there.
Did vet say what parasites?
If it's tapes they wont gain much weight till they're clear. All three pretty, when are they due?

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vet just said "boat load". I got impression there was a variety of worms.

The woman who sold them is thinking around Oct. sometime.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I would buy Replamin Plus and give them 5cc once a week for a few weeks.

I would also give them B Complex shots. Probios for a week wouldn't hurt either.

There is also a thread on here about rice bran being good for weight gain: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/does-rice-bran-work-weight-gainer-yes-photos-148827/

That is great that you were willing to bring the wormy girl home and work with her. I bet you can get her going with some extra love and care.

If Cydectin has already been done, I would probably do coccidia next. Then do a white wormer to get any tapes or roundworm.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been trying to give her probios but she is timid and shuns new stuff. Took me awhile to convince her the grain is yummy. I have alfalfa cubes and have been throwing the tiny bits in with the grain but she licks around the alfalfa. She does eat loose alfalfa hay. Any suggestions on getting her to at least try the probios? My goaties fight over the stuff when they see me coming with the tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts