The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a month ago I put a deposit down on a buckling. I have two yearling does and I'm planning on breeding them this fall. Today I contacted the seller about picking up the buck. She told me that the disbudding had not gone well and the buckling had scurs. She no long wants to sell because of quality issues.

Should I encourage her to sell him to me anyway? Should I be concerned about a buck with scurs? My doelings are disbudded. What is everyone's opinion? I feel a little stuck. Most of the bucklings from the spring are now sold and I'm stuck with no one to breed my does. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Scurs happen especially in Bucks..Sure they can be unsightly and a pain..but no big deal....Scurs do not take from the quality of the goat nor his breeding ability..Our Lamancha Buck has good size scurs that he breaks off a few times a year which keep them small...the only time scurs are an issue is when they grow toward the head or face..then you will need to trim them as needed...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I would want to see the scurs and how bad they were. What they may consider to be bad, may not be what I would consider bad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a buckling born who grew small horn stubs after being disbudded but I had the vet come out and redo them since they were small. Maybe the person you're getting him from could have them redone or maybe you could have them redone? Just an idea :ponder:

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
ya, Id like to see some pics of the buck. Little flat scurs just tend to get banged off with little to no blood. Big think ones tend to start to curl in towards the back of the head and if not monitored can start growing into the skull. So if you are not comfortable with having to wire saw em a couple of times a year or have a vet do it, then Id maybe rethink it OR see how much a vet would charge to cut and burn the scurs and see if the seller will adjust price.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Depending on the shape and size most scurs are very easy to manage. Two of my bucks have tiny ones they knock off all the time, no biggy at all. One other buck has larger scurs (he was already disbudded and past the point of a reburn when I got him) that he normally takes care of on his own. When he does knock them off they bleed a bit more then the tiny ones of my other two. If he goes awhile without knocking them off I take a basic farrier rasp and file them down a little at a time to keep them manageable. If the bloodlines and conformation is there then I would go for it and just keep his scur maintenance up. You never know they may even offer you a discount if you ask to still purchase him.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My buckling is growing scurs...., he's still a good buck, and he doesn't butt me or anything so all is good... I'm going to try to band them, just because he would probably "look" better;)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Can't you band scurs?
I don't band anything but that is just my personal preference. I know other people do, but I don't. If you read the Natural Goat Care book by Pat Coleby I am sure you probably read the part on banding and the research findings.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I don't band anything but that is just my personal preference. I know other people do, but I don't. If you read the Natural Goat Care book by Pat Coleby I am sure you probably read the part on banding and the research findings.
Hmmm, maybe I should read that...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
What about the horn paste they sell at tractor supply? Would that work for scurs? My vet said banding of horns is ok but not permenant.
If they have already grown past a bump, then no that wouldn't work. That only works within the first few weeks or so. After banding you could then use the disbudding iron again, but I think Ouch!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sounds like there may be other issues going on. she wants to back out? maybe she got a better offer. Sorry it sounds fishy to me. Scurs are not a problem.
where are you located and what breed are you looking for? i'm sure someone on here can help you

·
1,983 Posts
sounds like there may be other issues going on. she wants to back out? maybe she got a better offer. Sorry it sounds fishy to me. Scurs are not a problem.
where are you located and what breed are you looking for? i'm sure someone on here can help you
Mom, I agree!

"Quality issue" doesn't sound like scurs to me, sounds like something else. I would get my deposit back, and get a buck without quality issues, scurs or no scurs. Maybe he has 3 teats, or 3 balls, or he's sickly, if she doesn't want to sell him to you, chances are she has a good reason, and it sounds like it an issue she doesn't want people to know she has in her herd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts