Purchasing Domain Names with Freewebs, HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Dec 17, 2007.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am thinking about purchasing my domain name with freewebs. Has anyone on here done this before? Do you lose any of your information when you do this? Did you set your site up as private or public (if you set it up as private does that mean that no one else can see it?)? Does anyone have a site that I could look at to see kind of what I will be getting? Once you purchase a domain are there any page limitations? When you purchase a domain do the advertisements go away?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have NOT, but I sure wish I did, before i had all my business cards made.
    I know Stacey did, so she will be able to answer any questions. I am sure others have also.

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I hope so. Mainly what I am wanting is to have is mydomain.com, more pages, and no advertisements while still keeping everything in my website the same without losing anything. And I just need to know how much all of that will cost and exactly where I have to go to purchase it.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I bought my domain through yahoo geocities. I had a geocities website and decided to upgrade. Been a while now, but I don't recall having to rename any of my files, it just changed it. I didn't really have to do anything.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Domain service through freewebs (and any service for that matter) will only provide you with mydomain.com (or .net if you should choose)

The premium service (extra charge besides domain) will get rid of the advertizements and give you extra space. With freewebs it is like unlimited or such a large amount that i have yet to exceed it.

if you go to "get premium" or something like that on freewebs it will walk you through the steps for buying it.

As for the domain, I found it very simple to buy it through freewebs and they tell you exactly what to do so that you can "park it" as it is called on your website. For a website dummy I found it simple and easy to follow.

the cost is like 20.00 for the domain and like 50.00 for the premium (that is for one year). I believe i bought my domain in a 2 year package and that made it cheeper in the long run.

I chose to have it bill paypal (no extra charge because i have my paypal set up to bill my credit card) and that way I don't have to worry about giving them credit card information. I am leary of free sites and stuff like that.

Hope that was helpful. Just ask or pm me if you have more questions

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks! That really helps! I sent a message to freewebs asking all of these questions and they were supposed to respond within 4 hours but they haven't yet :roll:

I am going to think about it, and I will probably wind up doing that. I have got so many goats that I need more pages and the advertisements are just a pain.

7. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Oh, one more question. You said that it was $50 a year for the package, so you are using the Starter package right? I think it says that the Premium is like $100 a year or something. I just wanted to make sure that the starter package would have all of the space for pages like you said. Thanks again!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they must have upped their prices again. I used the simple premium that they offered nothing more. Seems like they have added and upgraded and now the price is higher. :/

9. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Maybe they will respond to my e-mail... eventually :shock:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    freewebs is terrble about getting back to people. Dont expect an answer for like 3 days