Purebreds or Minis? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Purebred Lamancha kids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mini-Mancha kids

60.0%
  3. Undecided

40.0%
  4. Other...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have two Lamancha doelings. One a March kid and one an April kid. I've been thinking very heavily lately whether or not to breed Mini-Manchas or just breed Purebred Lamanchas. What would you do?

I was planning to breed them around 7 months old for Minis and if I breed for purebreds it would be 8 months/80 pounds. Meg will be 8 months in November. Birdie December.

I am very close to Split Creek farm and she has two Lamancha bucks.
    Autumn Acres Toluca's Mister T L001334985
    *B Glen-Mythos Fafnir L001404634

She charges $40 for breedings with two rebreeds if the doe doesn't settle the first time.

If I breed minis I would of course use one of my 4 Nigerian Dwarf bucks. So what to do you think.

Here's the pros I've worked out for Lamanchas.
    *Kids are purebred Lamanchas, with the udder genetics behind them they could be worth more.
    *Kids can be shown in any AGS/ADGA shows in the area.
    Cons
    *Breeding fees to use her bucks.

Here's the pros I've worked out for Minis.
    *I don't have to pay a stud fee and can do the breedings casually here without worrying about them being in standing heat when we treck to Anderson.
    *Kids maybe a little smaller and easier to deliver on their dam's.
    Cons
    *No shows for Minis in our area period. So the kids would be more or less milkers. But should be excellent milkers with the udder genetics my bucks have.
    *Obsticles of getting the big girls bred by the little guys. :p

I am pretty much planning to keep a doe kid from both in the spring either way. Thanks for reading!

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    boy that is a hard one. you have coverd all the pro's & con's that i would have thought of. i guess alot would depend on what you want to do with the kids. maybe even breed one to the nigi & one to the lamancha. that would save you one stud fee & a trip to the buck. i would pick the biggest one to breed to the lamanch buck. sorry i know i am not much help

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I hadn't thought about that. Meg is a month older than Birdie and is a noticeable amount bigger. She also is the one who'd broken her leg at 3 weeks of age so she will never see a show ring. I am planning to milk her and of course see her udder and kids. Birdie I'd like to show.