Purebreds or Minis? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Purebred Lamancha kids

0 vote(s)
  2. Mini-Mancha kids

3. Undecided

4. Other...

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have two Lamancha doelings. One a March kid and one an April kid. I've been thinking very heavily lately whether or not to breed Mini-Manchas or just breed Purebred Lamanchas. What would you do?

I was planning to breed them around 7 months old for Minis and if I breed for purebreds it would be 8 months/80 pounds. Meg will be 8 months in November. Birdie December.

I am very close to Split Creek farm and she has two Lamancha bucks.
    Autumn Acres Toluca's Mister T L001334985
    *B Glen-Mythos Fafnir L001404634

She charges $40 for breedings with two rebreeds if the doe doesn't settle the first time.

If I breed minis I would of course use one of my 4 Nigerian Dwarf bucks. So what to do you think.

Here's the pros I've worked out for Lamanchas.
    *Kids are purebred Lamanchas, with the udder genetics behind them they could be worth more.
    *Kids can be shown in any AGS/ADGA shows in the area.
    *Breeding fees to use her bucks.

Here's the pros I've worked out for Minis.
    *I don't have to pay a stud fee and can do the breedings casually here without worrying about them being in standing heat when we treck to Anderson.
    *Kids maybe a little smaller and easier to deliver on their dam's.
    *No shows for Minis in our area period. So the kids would be more or less milkers. But should be excellent milkers with the udder genetics my bucks have.
    *Obsticles of getting the big girls bred by the little guys. :p

I am pretty much planning to keep a doe kid from both in the spring either way. Thanks for reading!
  2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I would go with PB LaManchas. Both of those bucks should be really nice...Autumn-Acres and Glen-Mythos...those are some nice herds. I live about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away from Tammy Tullar(Autumn-Acres) and I get to see her goats at shows and I love them! If I ever get into LaManchas I know where I am getting them! lol Have you looked at her website before?

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes I actually have her site bookmarked under Lamancha breeders and I'd browsed her site. When I found out one of the bucks was from her farm I went and refreshened my memory. I couldn't find his dam on there. She's apparently passed or sold but she's not on the reference page. So I'm assuming she's just not added yet. The links to her always go to the regular lamancha doe page.

I've seen some Glen-Mythos does at shows and actually saw Fafnir last year as a junior. Fantastic! Absolutely stunning animals. So I do agree, I couldn't have been luckier to have those two bloodlines so close to be had.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I guess I'm just partial but I would stick with keeping your LaManchas purebred. That way your kids would more than likely sell a little bit easier if your market is right down there and you can still show them.

Just fyi in case you couldn't find the buck's dams, here is a page where Toluca is pictured: http://gatewoodfarm.com/tumore.shtml

and Fafnir's dam, she is heavily linebred on Stormbringer, who appraised 93 and is a really nice buck: http://glenmythos.com/valkyriepage.html
  5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I did run across that photo when I searched her. Thanks!

Well purebred Lamanchas aren't going for very much in my area. Can't say that Minis would be much more. Nigerians seem to be more in our are.
  6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I chose mini-manchas because they are so cute! I love that they have the higher, more persistent milk production of the big breeds but are smaller and easier to handle. There is the con that they cannot be shown in your area, but on the plus side, you'd have a really great little milker!!
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think i'd go with the minis. Yes, i'm a mini breed person, but hey, I think they're unique. Aren't the mini lamanchas harder to find? Maybe it's just our area. I think they'd be super easy to sell and they'd be a little more unique than the standard size. I think the mini lamanchas are just darling! Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!!
  8. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well I've decided after reading all the replies here and on another list that we're going to breed Minis this year. I mean I'd hate to dish out that breeding fee per doe and wind up with single bucks from both. It would justify the costs for breeding. So this year we'll do mins. I do want to milk both does and then eventually mini does too to see the differences. So that's what we'll do. Thanks to everyone who replied and gave opinions! I appreciate it!
  9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Cool...I definately think you made the write choice, although there's no wrong choice :D The minis will be easy to sell in case you get boys only. Good luck!!!
  10. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yep and I won't have invested a breeding fee for them. Girls could shock me of course and have multiple doelings and that's surely fine by me! ;)
  11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Well, I can understand going mini for a while since you have access to a Nigerian buck or two :). I love my bigger breed LaManchas-they have great personalities. I dont think i'll ever go back to minis as sales are few and far between around this area. I was so lucky that the gal that bought my herd took pretty much all of my minis.
  12. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah markets seem to vary from place to place. Hard to say how they'll sell. I am hoping well. :) But that applies to everything.