Pushing off the "new" goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DebianDog, Aug 9, 2009.

1. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Well I just added a new girl to the herd for a total of only (3) but the older does are very pushy. I bought a longer truoff <sp?> that has enough room for 6 head but the older ones make her wait till they are done eating.

So do I just let nature take it's course or do I put out an extra bowl or something? :shrug:

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Totally normal. The new girl is bottom of the pecking order. Eventually they may (or may not) let her eat with them. Or she may just have to always wait her turn, unless some day she moves up in the lineup.

Just let it go, unless you see any serious fighting. :thumbup:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you notice that the others are pigging out and she isnt getting any then yes I would feed her some separate. It takes goats 1-2 weeks to start to be accepted and upwards to a couple months to truly setting in and become part of the herd.

4. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I would put out extra bowls as I would not want to stress her and take the chance she is not getting enough to eat and loose weight.

5. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks all I will keep an eye on her with a bowl in waiting.

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would just play policeman and stand next to the bowl for a few days. If you put out an extra bowl it will be 5 min until the 3 older ones see the new bowl and make a charge for it and she still won't get her fair share.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, the newbie will be challenged into making her place in the pecking order....til then, make sure she gets her ration by feeding separate. With goats...2 is company, 3 is a crowd......any chance you'd be willing to get a 4th doe the same age so that she'll have a "non-bossy" buddy? The older 2 will still be bossy but at least she won't be alone during the trial period.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Ah the infamous "grain chain" conundrum. What I've found that works is to let her try to establish a spot in the grain hoard, but if there is one particular goat in the herd that gets too rough, I'll corral the mean goat immediately after she's been too aggressive so she misses out on grain time. It doesn't take long for the "mean goat" to learn that if she doesn't have good "table manners" she'll miss out on the grain entirely.

On the occasion when the newbie still isn't getting enough to eat, I'll put a separate bowl of grain with the goat over in a corner and guard her with an old baton I have. If one of the other goats gets too close before she's done eating, the get a light clobbering on the heiny. that keeps them away long enough for the little one to eat.

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Very clever. I am going to have to try this myself. :wink:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone...great advice... :thumbup: ..goats can be so cruel to new goats.... :sigh: :hug:

11. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009

:leap: PERFECT! See honey I "need" (1) more

12. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    That's a good point too. Whenever possible, add goats in pairs of similar age, preferrably from the same herd. Even if it's just a companion whether. They'll stick together and seem to get braver in establishing their place in the herd when they aren't alone in their newbie status.

I saw this difference when I added Momma and her baby back into the general herd @ 2 1/2 months old. Tinkerbelle, although not abused by the other goats (Mommas wouldn't tolerate that: the 2 or 4 legged Momma), she still isn't comfortable hanging with the herd. About 6 weeks ago, I added a pair of does - sisters @ 8 weeks old (long story, had to take them from the breeder earlier than expected) and they are doing much better with the herd dynamics.

13. Sorry, running behind. I would add one more bucket then goats. This works great here. Make sure they are spaced out good so you are not having one goat hord two buckets.