Pushy Doe!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Guest, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have recently aquired two goats - one is a nubian cross I would guess about 70lbs and the other is a Pygmy. We ahve had them for about 3 weeks and they are both about a year old.

The pygmy is a little love - very well behaved and great with my 8 year old daughter.

The nubian x is a different story. She is extremely pushy - she head swings at my daughter and bit her quite hard once. THis weekend daughter had a friend over and she reared up at her - she came down with out a butt - but this is really starting to worry me.

Should I be worried - how to a work with a very pushy goat. I have tried swshing around and at her with my dressage whip - but she is 110% non responsive.

I am really worried about the laibility aspect if her around visiting kids and of course my own - my daughter is borderline scared of her - and the lady that I got her from got rid of her had to get rid becuase she had a 4 year old daughter that was petrified of her!!

Thoughts?

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes you should be worried. The rearing up is a challenge. She is challenging and feeing dominant over your daughter. You need to put her on the ground and sit on her her. ZThe second she does it squirt her in the eyes with some vinagar water pull her back down on the ground flip her (Reach over her back pull the legs that are closest to you away from you so that you can support her with your body when she is down on her side pin her to the ground. Have your daughter be there and come over and sit cloesest to her head. So that the doe can see her. This will show your daughters dominance over the goat. head butting is NOT acceptable in my barn. Some animals are un responsive to the sitting on them thing. And they end up in somones freezer. If she continues to do this your daughter will be hurt.
    beth

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When she tries to head butt you you need to put her on the ground and sit on her until she gives in. She thinks she is the herd queen right now and needs to find out otherwise. Sounds like this behavior has been allowed for a while by her other owner and she may be very hard to control now. Especially for someone new to goats. If it were me I would sell her and get another pygmy for a companion for your other goat.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Gosh - thanks all - I thought it might be a problem - but didn;t realize it was this serious.

She doesn;t rear up at my daughter - she did it to her friend - but does that mean that she will challenge any newcomer to my property?

As for a second pigmy - I am getting a horse next month - and the goats were for horse company - the horse that is coming has horse experience - and the nubie and the pygmy both have horse experience also. Thats why I went to a larger goat to start with......

Thanks all for you throughts. I will see if I can wrangle her down - she's quite large..... :(

I know I sound like one of those idiots tat just go out and get animals on impulse..... but I am really not.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Also forgot to add that she is really pushy to the pygmy too. Pushes her around at feed time and vies for my attention when I sit in the stall with them.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She does that because she thinks/knows she is herd queen.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you feel.... she is a threat to children...maybe sell her ...and replace her with a calmer natured animal......I would be afraid...... that she may hurt a child .....and it isn't worth it....

If you do the methods described ....which I am not saying is a bad idea....the goat will bow down to you... but may not to others......I am concerned for the children... :( :worried: :hug:

8. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    While i was out last night taking daughter to riding lessons - DH had both of the goats out in the yard with the dogs.

Cookie the nubie mix was pushing his buttons and being very fresh and pushy - and he took her down and she submitted.

She was pushy again at feed time and he did it again - she after this settled right down for him.

We decided last night that if she is pishy around daughter again -we will use the recomended method - but if strange kids come over she will not be let out - only Lulu will come out.

Lulu was exposed to a buck prior to our purchase - so if she is in kid then we will kid her out and keep a baby and Cookie wil be rehomed.

So thats the plan for now. Of course our main concerns is safety of kids.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

:)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...Trace.. :) ..good luck .. with everything ...hope it works out for you..... :hug:

10. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Re: Pushy Doe!!!!!! **update**

So today I took the goats to the busstop to get daughter off the bus - we do this most days - we have a long driveway and its nice for them to get out and exercise.

On the way back we were playing and running etc - Cookie reared up twice at daughter :veryangry: - first time I wasn;t quick enough or close enough to catch her.

Second time I was - and after a bit of a struggle - boom - I took her down - we both sat (gently) on her - me on her body - daughter on her head - until she submitted.

Crikey those little boogers are strong!!! Now I know what the calf ropers feel like at the rodeo!!!! It didn;t help that I had three dogs and the pigmy all sniffing around trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

Oi vey - the life of a goat owner eh - who'da thunk it would be this exciting!!!!