Put a bale in the pen for the first time!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Jan 30, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Last week I put a bale in the goat pen, and tested it to see how it would work!

Well the bale lasted a whole week and the goats LOVED it!

Im going to do it alot more!

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally think goats do a lot better on free choice hay. We bale those giant 6 tie bales and use a loader to put them over the fence in the pen...actually just did it this weekend, but it works really well and that way I know they each are getting the right amount and as much as they need. :thumb:

3. TinyHoovesRanch

O...M...G they LOVE IT!!

The first day I did it, they slept all around the bale! Then the next day they were hopping and prancing around! They are so happy!

They only eat a bale a week though, maybe its because they have lots of grass to munch on right now!

Im SOOOO gladd I decided to try it!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad it worked for you!
    Mine pretty much always have hay available, even if I do section it and put it in racks theres usually leftovers from the 4 30 am feeding to the 4 pm refill. Once I know the weather won't unload snow through the day I fill up outside racks too...mine basically sleep under and around them when they are full.

5. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Yeah, my guys always have hay in their fence racks. If I put a whole bale in I would be afraid they would jump all over it and then not eat it. >.< Boogers. My biggest pain these days is keeping the rain/snow/weather out of the mineral feeders since I don't have an inside place to hang them (the shelters are not conducive to it).

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm sure they were very happy! :)

Our goats always have hay, I keep their feeders full. We used to keep round bales in their pen, but during the winter/wet months I don't want to do that because it'll get waster - during the summer what they drop we rake up and use it for bedding.
    Ours would sleep around the hay too :)

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :greengrin: Yep they have to guard that hay!

8. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Ours love it too, even as cold as it was today, Hubby chased them out so we could put down fresh Straw, they attacked the hay bales, we have two round bales out for 20 does three Miniature Horses and one calf. but they attack em then play king of the mountain what they dont/wont eat the other four will!

9. TinyHoovesRanch

I have 10 goats in the pasture right now and they are attacking the bale haha you can see little holes everywhere.

The top of it does get ruined, I cant stop that, they like to jump on it and play! But its ok, because they are getting free choice and they seem alot happier with this!

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My goats eat a bale of hay a day! lol But I put mine in hay racks because otherwise they stand and pee on it and there is SO much waste. Glad your guys like it :)

11. TinyHoovesRanch

A BALE A DAY!!! Oh my! haha maybe mine just dont realize it yet, they actually dont eat alot at all! But hey im not complaining!

12. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    What type of hay are you putting in the pen????? I just 'googled' the difference between straw and hay... I'm such a city girl.. you aren't putting out a bale of Alfalfa are you? that seems pretty pricey!

13. TinyHoovesRanch

I actually am putting a bale of alfalfa hahaha

Last week only a flake was wasted, not even that though, it was just the top of it that was wasted, since they peed and pooped on it! But other than that I LOVE IT!!

I never have to feed them, because they always have food! They seem to love it soooo much, they are much more lazy now, but I go in there with the grain and get then to run a few laps haha

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Be careful if you have a ditzy goat though, it can strangle itself in the twine.

15. TinyHoovesRanch

So far no one has been stupid enough haha

Ive been watching though!