• Other? ( write in comments)

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,
I understand many will pay for a vet to save their goats but where is the line between paying $300-$1000 or more for a vet or just mercifully putting the animal down?
I mean if one of my animals gets deathly sick I can't afford to pay that much. Does it seem evil to put down a goat that could be saved with a vets care?
I understand pets and super expensive animals are worth it too get a vet but otherwise....
Just curious to hear other opinions.
Thanks,
@healthyishappy

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I personally have never thought less of someone who appropriately put down an animal instead of paying a vet. Sometimes you just don't have the money. I sure don't have a money tree in my backyard. I have a budget for the vet and have to assess every situation. But I can't stand it when someone complains they don't have money for a vet and lets an animal suffer until they die on their own. There is no reason to let an animal unduly suffer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Unfortunately I've been in this situation with a beloved dog. $5000+ for a maybe surgery and more for the continued physical therapy he would need after. Not only could we not even consider the cost of surgery at the time, but even if we could. I had 2 small children at the time and there was no way I could a. Keep him safe enough to recover with littles and b. Devote as much time as he would need towards recovery. Even if cost wasn't a factor we would have had to find him a permante care home. Plus on top of the surgery only being less then 30% chance of success the was a 50% chance he could die in surgery.

So unfortunately the decision to get a vet involved vs putting an animal down isn't always a fine line. And even with a vet involved the latter in some cases is still the best option. I would vote to always get a vet involved if possible so you can weigh your options. At least then the what if's aren't about what if I had just called the vet or what if the vet could have seen something I missed.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would vote to always get a vet involved if possible so you can weigh your options. At least then the what if's aren't about what if I had just called the vet or what if the vet could have seen something I missed.
That's fine but my vet won't come out for less than $150
Just to drive!

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Only you can decide what is financially ok for you. The bigger thing is not letting them suffer. If they are suffering, then be quick to put them down. The worst is just letting a goat suffer and slowly die.
Yes I agree.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I agree, if an animal is suffering, no matter who does it, is doing the right thing.

May I ask what the issue is with the goat? Sometimes it may be a simple fix and treatment at home. With a few meds and time.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My farm calls are approximately $100. just to drive out. So if I have a single or a couple, I take them in and pay the office call fee, which is cheaper. I save the farm calls for when I have much to do with multiple animals. That works out more cost and time effective rather than hooking up a trailer and trying to get everyone through a busy office.

So there are times when a farm call is best, and times when an office call is best, and times when a bullet is best. I agree with EVERYONE that the option that's never the best is to allow suffering. Fix It Or End It is my motto.

I think I'll embroider that on a frilly throw pillow, just to keep unwanted visitors away because of the creep factor.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, if an animal is suffering, no matter who does it, is doing the right thing.

May I ask what the issue is with the goat? Sometimes it may be a simple fix and treatment at home. With a few meds and time.
I have no issues I was just curious on peoples opinions. I didn't want to be considered inhuman because I couldn't afford a vet.
Before I ever put an animal down I will ask on here for help!

·
8,157 Posts
No animal should ever have to suffer, needlessly. They don't fear death like most people do. All they want is to live as painless a life as possible. ( disbudding and castration are painful but not devastating, I hope!) If the pain is there, it is up to us, the stewards of the animal, to stop the pain in whatever way is feasible. Medication, surgery or euthanasia. No one should judge another if one decides euthanasia is the best decision at that time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree only you can decide what is financially okay for you. A lot of factors come into play here. What the goat initially cost, the value of the goat vs the cost of the treatment, and of course how emotionally vested you are into the goat.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I have no issues I was just curious on peoples opinions. I didn't want to be considered inhuman because I couldn't afford a vet.
Before I ever put an animal down I will ask on here for help!
Glad you don't have an issue now.
Whew...
You are very smart to ask, we are here for your goaties.

We all, may be put in this situation and we all must decide at that moment what is best. :hug:

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's fine but my vet won't come out for less than $150
Just to drive!
Yeah at that price I probably would just call and ask their opinion, I probably wouldn't even consider having them come out unless it's a situation that should still be easily treatable like maybe needing help with a stuck kid, otherwise for 1 I would probably try to transport if possible. But otherwise our vet seems to be pretty good at just offering advice, and meds if needed.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
our vet seems to be pretty good at just offering advice, and meds if needed.
Yes, that is a good point. Because I've spent years cultivating a relationship with the vet's office we use, they are willing to do things like that, give advice on the phone, give medications, let me read their goat textbook for free...
Because they know me, they don't always insist on the " I have to see the animal..." that many people do run into.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Depends. I had a buck that I bet over the course of 3 years was every bit of $1000 to finally diagnose... and treat just to euthanize. He would have been 4 in February this year... he started with some skin issues at 1 yr, and it kept progressively getting worse. Finally contacted a veterinary dermatologist who allergy tested him. We treated secondary infections due to severe environmental allergies, and tried allergy serum on him. It worked, but the allergies were genetic and his serum would've been $120 per vial and he needed 3.. after the first round of vials we made the decision to put him down. He was miserable and unhappy. I have his son now who is my wether and I am treating his and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Oh, the poor guy! That must have been horrific for all of you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts