Putting some weight on Kiko Doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by W Dean, Sep 23, 2020.

1. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Yeah I know we went against our better judgement and brought a Young Doe home. After some time we have her worm load down, scours are gone and honestly I have learned a lot about caring for a sick goat.

I have read that some use Beet shreds as a supplement any thoughts on using them to give her a boost?

thanks

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly what are you feeding her now?

toth boer goats likes this.

3. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Mostly plants and brush native to Middle Tennessee. We have 5 pastures that we rotate. There is a lot of what I believe is called river birch, that they are quite fond of. Thankfully it’s still relatively warm here and growth is still consistent. So everyone gets plenty of fresh brush. In the fall I will supplement with hay twice a day. Also they get a fed a small amount of grain, and there is always goat mineral and baking soda in the barn in feeders.

when we got her she was in rough shape and very lethargic. Now she is doing much better but in my view still a little underweight.

thanks

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Alfalfa pellets and shredded beef pulp should help.

Baking soda shouldn't be out all the time. They make their own bicarbonate and eating baking soda reduces that. Plus baking soda deactivates ammonium chloride.