Putting weight on a buck

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PznIvyFarm, Feb 13, 2014.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    My buck has trouble maintaining weight. I feed him grain out of necessity, and add ammonium chloride or give him feed with AC but while at the feed store I heard someone talking about a Nutrena high fat feed for horses

http://www.augustacoop.com/catalog/...rena_Proforce_Fuel_(previous_Hi_Fat_Black_Bag)

I picked up a bag, but then started thinking maybe I shouldn't feed it to goats, although I know there are 'all stock' feeds so what do you think? I didn't intend to feed it as his sole grain, maybe just give him a little as a top dressing kind of thing.

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I've never seen anything in horse feed that I couldn't feed to my goats. Nothing at that link would scare me.... About all you can do is try it and see if it works for him

Carmen, Oleo Acres LLC, NW Ks

3. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    BOSS & calf manna are my best friends for weight gain. Paired with a great quality hay, can't be beat.

4. fishin816

fishin816 Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit

Mar 4, 2011
    Southern Illinois

I would add BOSS, Calf Manna, and alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay. Protein protein protein

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I've avoided giving the bucks alfalfa pellets, I thought they were really bad for them...................

6. fishin816

fishin816 Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit

Mar 4, 2011
    Southern Illinois

Ummmmm that is very very very very VERY false. So many people think that too much protein is bad for bucks/wethers. It's not! It is the unbalanced calcium/phosphorus that hurts them. In a lot of times there is WAY too much phosphorus and not enough calcium. The alfalfa adds all the calcium that is needed to the ratio. So yes, alfalfa is great for bucks. You don't need to avoid them.