The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our horse pasture turned out horrible this year. We plowed it up and planted a new kind of grass but it never came up really good. There's patches of it here and there but the soil is now loose and kinda sandy in some spots. So anyone that knows anything about planting pasture i would love help on that also. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(Didn't mean to send that)

They have hay out at all times and get feed everyday but what is a good ration to give. I use the big blue foldgers (spelling?) coffe containers as scoops and ive been giving them a whole scoop of sweet grain a day. I was told when we got them that pellet feed causes colic so i want to stay away from that. Im starting to mix their feed up different, now im adding alfalfa pellets and im thinking about adding corn too. What do yall think? I only have two, a quarter horse gelding and an Appaloosa mare and they are small probably a little more than 15 hands.

·
Super Moderator
59,239 Posts
I have bought a horse pasture mix at TSC that did well for me. I also overseed spring and fall for a couple years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As far as sweet feed goes i give my horses about a half bucket of sweet feed (its a 5gallon bucket) it works good really they should get it morning and evening but i only do it in the morning. They dont get colic unless basically all they eat is sweets or founder themselves, from my current knowledge anyway. And my horses also have a pasture with more non grass areas then grass but we give them a full round bale of alfalfa hay. My horses gain weight easily, some ppl may consider them over weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure you weigh your feed and feed to the correct amounts on the label. I've never heard of horses getting colic from pelleted feed but I would recommend that you don't feed corn as it's hard to digest and hard on teeth. I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't help you put weight on your horses. If your horses are really underweight you can purchase supplements that add calories without the risk of over feeding. Having hay out is a good idea since it is forage. Also, beet pulp is great too.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
regular corn oil or vegetable oil can be poured over sweet feed or grain to up caloric intake, you can get feed oil for this purpose in large buckets but I always just used off brand human labeled oil. You can add from a 1/4 cup up to 1 full cup per day. Best to start off at the lower end and work up slowly. It isn't harmful to horses and a bonus is it makes them shiny. Most love the taste of it also. It will help put weight on without upping the chance of founder.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mare can be fat as a hog off of just the bad pasture but i still keep hay stocked up. But my gelding could get the pasture, hay, and feed and still not get as fat as her. He's bigger and than her and is bay but his skin is black so he gets hot and sweaty a lot faster, then when he gets hot he has to come in from the pasture and has to eat hay. He enjoys winter so much better. Then my mare she's small framed and white/grey so she stays in the pasture all day and it dosent faze her. I guess that has some to do with it, and someone told me boys burn calories easier but im not real sure about that.

Im going to start giving them the same sweet feed portion but i think im going to mix a little of the corn and alfalfa pellets into the geldings feed. I wasent real sure about the corn, i dont know many people who feed there horses corn. I just wanted to add a little something more to his feed.

I usually get horse feed at the local feed store and i get goat feed at TSC so i have to make 2 stops. But the other day at TSC i found sweet feed thats for horses, sheep, and goats. I thought that would be an easier way to mix feed so im thinking of trying it. It might be producers pride brand but im not sure about that part.

Thanks guys for yalls input, yall are helping me straighten everything out. :) sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Your gelding may need his teeth floated too, sometimes horses get waves in their teeth that make chewing properly uncomfortable/impossible. An Equine dentist, some farriers, or your vet should be able to float his teeth if that is the case and improve his bite. If a horse can't properly masticate their food they can't extract as much nutrition from that food. Since horses are grazers they really have to be able to chew up their food. I would have a vet look at his teeth. Beet pulp can help as well it is higher in calories due to the sugars left in it, it is also fibrous. If he were mine I'd up his ration, top dress with corn oil and have his teeth checked for starters.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(warning: long post you dont have to read it, sorry)

It took me a while to type that so i missed the last 2 posts. Ok ill stick to no corn. :) And with the vegetable oil is it regular cooking oil like you fry stuff in or grease pans with? Im not sure where to get corn oil from but ill look around. :) he isn't under weight but he could use some more pounds. Plus after school gets settled down ill have time to ride more which means they will probably eat more. :)

Oh and with the pasture part. I saw the pasture seed online when i was looking for some the other day. Isn't there 2 kinds of horse pasture seed? I wasent sure which was better? What do yall fertilize yalls pasture with? I think we used 10-10-10 but i could be wrong. Im thinking we need more of something for the grass to actually grow in it so sandy. Maybe i could go scoop a trailer or 2 full of cow manure? I was thinking to spit in rows, like take the horses off it, plow one or 2 strips and plant it fertilize it a water it and when it starts looking good then do another strip until the whole field is planted. It's only a 3 acre field that im planning to replant. I thought if i could give it more attention then it will help it. Im guessing it would be best to start that in the spring?

Again sorry for the long post i tend to rant... Haha

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I missed 2 more again. I really need to learn to type faster. He dosent spill a drop when he eats, we made that mistake when we first got into horses a few years ago. We got a 20 year old huge gelding that was supposed to be calm as can be. He was a rescue horse and after a little while of having him he absolutely hated being rode. And he had always dropped a pile of food and we just took it as him being a messy eater. We finally gave him away to more experienced horsemen so he could be retired and they found out his teeth were bad. So we learned our lesson.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Yeah just the oil people buy to fry things in, corn oil is best but regular vegetable oil is fine too, don't use canola or olive oil. I just buy the always save corn oil. Well I did, my old gelding died that I used this for. Listen I kept a boy with NO back teeth alive for about 7 years making him a soup of alfafa cubes, beet pulp, sweet feed and corn oil. I made it so soupy he literally drank it. He was a 36 year old horse when he passed. Your gelding may just be a harder keeper than your mare he may just need more calories, or he could have issues with his teeth or something else. Start simple and see if a simple fix helps if not widen your circle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the responses. :) ill try around and change up feeds and try the oils im thinking he will gain weight pretty easy if i start that and he will love the extra attention. Ill get the farrier to have a look at his teeth too. He can probably tell me if he needs it done or not but ill probably get the vet to do it if they need it done. :)

·
Hopelessly Addicted
2,055 Posts
Didn't completely read everything, but I've taken and rehabbed several very thin horses... once I make sure teeth are good and they aren't packed full of worms (Power Packs are awesome unless they are reaaaallly wormy and need the worms to be slowly killed) I find rice bran to be hands down the best. I don't use fancy feeds or oils. I just use a COB of some sort that isn't too sugar laden and has good protein levels and mix it with the rice bran. Rice bran is very fatty. Horses are less picky about it than beet pulp and less (if any ) is wasted compared to oils and pulp. Works awesome. Of course if their teeth are bad or they have worms feed wont matter. Also, make sure the hay isn't empty hay...if its straw like or dull it probably has little calories. I feed alfalfa or grassy alfalfa anymore or oat hay and avoid "normal" grass hay these days. Might cost more for alfalfa but I feed much less and they stay much more fat and it making a horse "hot" is an excuse for people who cant handle their naturally energetic horse or are too lazy to make sure their penned horses get proper exercise or turn out to burn off excess calories...lol.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reread the thread (i was bored :p ) and realized i left some stuff out on the first post.

He was a rescue when we first got him, he was under weight then and my goodness his mane was so matted i thought i was going to have to roach it. That was a long time ago and now hes great now. :) I'm just looking for new or different feed ideas. We used to get a brand that i had no idea what it was called but it worked awesome. It was a black bag with horses on it with either a blue or green tag depending on the protein level in it. It wasent cheap or expensive, just regular i guess lol. The feed store quit selling it, and TSC never sold it so we had to find a different brand. And the fact the pasture was bad this year didn't help any. He's not underweight, he's just not in his prime form like he usually is.

We tried the feed the local feed store replaced the old brand with and it was horrible. He barely even ate it, but my mare did, she eats anything and everything. Which is another reason i dont have a problem fattening her up, he on the other hand is very picky haha.

I just started using the brand from TSC and im mixing some alfalfa pellets in it he eats it better than the other kind so im hoping he will get used to it and start liking it sooner or later. If not im trying to talk the feed store guy into changing back or ill try some other TSC brands. I guess since hes been on the black bag feed for 5 years now hes just gotten used to it and dosent want to change.

Thank you guys for all the help. :) And more tips are gladly welcomed. :D

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
safe choice is a good feed you can find most places but it is kinda pricey

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, :) it sounds kinda familiar. Ill try to find it and if i do ill try it out. Maybe the price wont be too bad since ill only be feeding two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts