Putting weight on a mare with a foal possibly prego

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Jessica84, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Let’s just not even talk about how I got into this situation lol I have a bleeding heart :/ anyways I just bought a mare, no age but doesn’t look very old from her teeth. She is a bag of bones and is hungry. The filly is claimed to be 2 months old. I don’t know how soon a mare can breed back but she was with a stud.
    I’ve had thin horses that I’ve had to put weight on and just had good pasture and alfalfa hay and calf manna but they didn’t have a foal on the side and were not maybe pregnant (going to look into how to preg check her).
    But right now no pasture but I have good hay. I’m going to get her some worker tomorrow and the calf manna but wondering if there is something at tractor supply that anyone swears by that I should pick up for her. She is not deathly thin but she is thin. The owner lost his place and didn’t have money to feed her so has been trying to sell her. When I brought her home she was so hungry she was eating cow crap before I went and put hay in front of her. Anyways any help would be great :)

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aw. Poor girl. I'm sure you will improve her weight in no time.

Jessica84 likes this.

3. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    No advice (don't know anything about horses) but. . . . .pictures please? :D

Jessica84 likes this.
  4. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I honestly think feed in general will help her big time but I feel a little out of my element lol we haven’t had a foal in a long time and we never were into breeding horses just simply getting a foal out of a good mare before she got too old. And it was always in the spring when we had nice good pasture for them and that kept them fat and sassy.
    Lol I’ll get better pictures in the morning this was just me “husband please don’t leave me” picture lol IMG_0628.jpg

5. Karen Kuntz

Karen Kuntz Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    They can be bred back immediately after giving birth so she could very well be close to two months pregnant if the foal is indeed two months old. I would make sure they both have access to good quality hay preferably 1st cutting available at all times with some alfalfa mixed in. I would feed the mare calf manna three times a day, starting with a very small amount at each feeding. Don't want to load her up quickly. The foal should be started on a very small amount of grain also, twice a day should be fine. Check with your vet about worming both of them, you may have to wait another month on the mare as worming is not recommended within the first two months of pregnancy. I would also ask about worming using a full dose or dividing it in half, the second dose given 10 days later. I had purchased a foal that was three months old and must have been loaded with worms. I gave him the wormer at the full dose for his age and he colicked. The vet said if she had known that he was loaded with worms she would have divided the dosage. They should also have access to a mineral block.

SalteyLove likes this.
  6. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Awe you certainly are a kind person she’s lucky you took her in.
    I sent this to my trainer, my equine dentist, farrier, and friend who has a boarding facility and has standing studs and also breeds. I’ve had gelding for 45 years only 1 mare whom I never bred. I got all different responses from everyone which is interesting.
    I agree with the advice given calf manna will help as well. They all have different worming advice though. @Karen Kuntz is correct if they have a heavy worm load and you throw too much at her she can easily colic. She’s also right about being bred she can go into heat 6 -12 days after giving birth. Although she might not have let him mount either but you don’t know. I’d give free choice of hay which it sounds like you’re doing anyway if you can have her teeth checked if possible? And a sample done so you know what her worm load is. I know with rescue animals you don’t always want to pour a lot of $ into them but if your lg animal vet can come do a check it would help I could write a 2 page column on advice from everyone but these are also people that do this for a living so they have everything they need at their disposal. The vet will check the foals over all health which can give you a plan as well. I sure wish her a healthy future and applaud you for adopting her at this time. You’re awesome!!:)

Karen Kuntz likes this.
  7. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well I sure didn’t know that about the wormer! I’m really hoping though she is not bred. If she is broke to ride I’ll be keeping her and I was planning on breeding the mare I have in a few months. If she is and she stays then I’ll have to put that on hold and I’ve been waiting a few years to do that. But I’ll give the vet a call today and see when I can bring them in to get checked out and see if he can take a look if she is prego

Karen Kuntz likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sweet of you to take them in, I highly commend you for that. :)

All have really good advice.

If she is an older Mare, her teeth may need floating. So check that too.

9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    From what I can see back there while she is still worried about the foal she looks good on her teeth. But the vet is booked up for a month and a half so I’m just going to worm her. I have another call to a different vet that I have never used since she is 3 hours away but her dad runs his cattle on a ranch close to me and she said if she gets a break and comes to help her dad before I can get her in she will swing by and take a look at her. I detest the other 2 vets in my area so I’ll just wait on one of those two. But over al both seem bright eyed and healthy.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Well congratulations on your new additions! Is the mare easy to work around so far? Of course the filly is adorable! Will you sell her at weaning?

Jessica84 likes this.
  11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The mare is so laid back and easy to work with. She thinks about not wanting to be caught if she sees me with the halter but I just talk to her and she calms down. She gives all her feet better then any of my other horses lol and nothing really seems to bother her. I was parting cows out this morning next to her and gates were slamming I was yelling and flicking my flag and she just stood right at the gate calmly watching me. I really think someone at one point has spent a good amount of time with her.
    Rock Star (my daughter is dead set on the name because her hair stands on end) is probably going to be a keeper as long as she shows a desire to be a good ranch horse. Within 5-6 years I’ll need another young horse anyways so I’ll see how she does.

12. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Sounds like she’s right where she’s supposed to be:)

Jessica84 likes this.
  13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I think she is too! They are both so very sweet. Yesterday it was a battle getting a halter on rock star and she didn’t want to be touched. Today she is all over me and she loves being scratched all over

elvis&oliver likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things are going well, love hearing that. :)

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww I hope and pray they work out and are a great addition to your farm! I am in horse country, my husband works on a breeding farm, and I have a lot of friends who are in the business/own horses/work with them/vets/etc. So I could certainly ask their opinion on a good supplement especially if the calf manna doesn't give you the results your wanting.
    I used to take care of horses but it's been years ago. We had a hard keeper mare that would get her feed ration and some sort of rice bran mix. It really made a huge difference!
    Mares on breeding farms are generally bred back fairly early, I want to say some are bred back within days to a couple of weeks, but I can't really remember. I know it was soon after foaling on what they called a 'foaling heat.' So she could definitely be bred.
    Not sure how they pregnancy test these days other than palping a mare and ultrasound.

Goat_Scout and toth boer goats like this.
  16. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Thank you. So far just simply having her belly full she looks so much better. I can actually see a huge difference in her even seeing her every day. I’m just giving her hay and got some mare and foal feed from tractor supply and I add a good handful of calf manna to it.
    I’ve been waiting for someone other then my kids to be around before I see it she knows what a saddle is, that way if it doesn’t go well I have someone that can take me to the ER lol

17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Goat_Scout likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California