The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put some weight on these boys. They are recently new to the pasture. I don't feed anyone in the pasture grain. They browse all day and I give hay. These two aren't doing well on it though so I think I need to put them back on grain? I want to get them ready for winter. How/what/when should I be feeding them

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Dumor Goat pellets and on the bag it tells you to give 1/2 a pound per day. I feed twice a day... I would probably feed extra if they are super skinny. Do they have free hay?

·
14,615 Posts
Id be putting them back on a high% protein grain, get a fecal & worm accordingly if needed.

What kind of hay? Alfalfa makes a huge difference if you can get it.

Our basic program is creep 3xs daily till about 9 mos & all the 3rd cut they can waste.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can do alfalfa. I have my girls on purina goat chow. Can these two boys just eat that? I did a fecal last week and it was neg. They act really good, very hyper when it's cold. They love love love the alfalfa and have coastal hay

·
Registered
46 Posts
how old is he? He doesn't look to skinny, But hey if you want build a fat coverage on the ribs, high protein grain helps!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's over a year. He's a wether. I know about how to do fat for market goats and all that but I don't want to drench him with stuff and buy expensive show feed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts