puzzled with goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Dec 30, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I would like to know if our two does are pregnant, but I don't want to spend the 15 bucks for a blood test and have to take blood from their jugular.

At how long into their gestation can you tell from looking at their backside?

I've seen people post pics of the goats "backside" and then try to confirm pregnancy. Can I mail pics to someone or post them? At how long into the gestation would these pics be able to possibly tell the story. I need to learn how to post pics here too!

They were both with two different bucks near late Oct 09, so hopefully they are two months pregnant.

Any other thoughts? Udder dropping is quite late, correct???

Help and thanks.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Usually at around the 2-3 month mark is easiest to tell if preggy from the backside. And you are right, the udders normally don't start til they are around 4 months along.

3. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    You are welcome to post your girls backsides and have people give you their best guess! :)

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

you can use photobucket or tinypic.com. I use tinypic because its easy and you don't have to make an account. All you do is browse through your pictures, select the one you want, make it a different size where it says "default" and use either the email setting or message board setting. Then you click upload and when its done, copy the code where it says message boards and forums and paste in on here. :) :thumbup:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Some goats you can't even tell if they are pregnant from looking...especially if you live in a cold climate & they have thick coats. Keep an eye for udder development. I was just reading somewhere that a doe is showing udder development and she is only 100 days along. I've noticed my girls showing udders at 4 mths along though. Your most accurate response would be the blood test..another option may be ultrasound if you were really curious. We can get them done in our area for $15/goat from the vet. Different areas may be cheaper though. I was talking to some people that raise cattle & they say they can get ultrasounds for their cows for $4 each.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The pooch test is what she is asking about - stick around long enough or do a search and you will see what she is asking about