puzzled

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Graffogefarms, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Ok - I know we have been having some run of bad luck, but hopefully its done with. Anyway, I noticed that Honey was acting weird in the field yesterday, her bag was filling, etc, ligs are really loose, mucous stringing etc. - she was realy uncomfortable. So popped her in back of wagon, and I brought her around with me in the car, she was just marbling and mucousing. Left her in the back of the car last night as she seemed pretty comfy in it. Now the marbles have turned to loose stools. The other thing - Something - and I really feel sure and strong is that I remember honey coming in heat twice, but I only have one written. The one written says March 3. She is I think expecting triplets. What is bothering me is the quick turn from marbles to scour. She has dropped but I did just see the babies moving. Honey is about 6 years old. The Scanner said that she was three weeks after Mama, and if so then it would mean that she did breed before the other date. Do I go in with my gloves?

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have no idea but I wish you the best of luck.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I assume when you say marbleing you are saying she is forming goaty pellets? Stress is a big factor that can cause the scours as is many other reasons. I would not go in to check her unless she is in active labor with no progress. Moving does that are pregnant can really stress them out. Goats need consistancy and stability period and really when pregnant. I would say being taken from her friends and put in the back of a car alone is enough to cause the scours. When my does go into labor I let them labor all day walking around with their friends and only move them into the kidding pen when they are ready to start pushing but most of my girls go into the kidding stall and lay down on their own when they really start feeling the need to push.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree with Teresa. The does are more comfortable with the herd....this happened to me about a month ago. My doe went into the barn to kid...after she had kidded, I moved her and her baby to the kidding stall. Your doe will be fine out with the herd or if you feel more comfortable with her being close to you, I would put a buddy in with her..one that is her friend and wont bother her.

5. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    considering that the farm is not beside the house where we live but is a rented one 2-3 miles away leaving them there can be difficult as with 4 children as well, I can't be at the farm 24/7. Especially with no electric there. My intention is to start bringing them home to kid in the next week, 2-3 weeks before they start. They will be indoors all the time here, and sheds are a bit smaller, but we will also utilize our trailer as a shed as well, but just to keep them at home, we have 2 of her friends at home already, but unfortunately, she is one that gets picked on.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree that it could be stress, I would give her some B complex and some nutri drench if you have it. Hows her appetite?

7. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    back to normal

just a bit slow, but she is eating, - I feed her from my hand so that she can eat.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is she now Bridget - did she kid for you?

Does change their behavior, eating habits and even their poop can change before kidding. I hope she is back to normal for you soon

9. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    yep she is back to normal, here at home now instead of rented farm. I got nervous when it looked like meconium in the - since I have been running like crazy since in a smelly car, I am determined to give it a quick clean out tomorrw.

10. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    no babies, and her bag is filling but not firm, though her lower back does feel squishy. - She kidded on hubby in the field Nov 3 06 while I was at a wedding in Bklyn . So since I wasnt around can't tell what she is normally like. Whereas I know Tia will be spurting goo for a month before.