Puzzled

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Oct 17, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Someone who bought a baby goat from me just emailed and said that he died last Sunday. :tears: I don't understand what could have happened as he was perfectly happy, healthy, robust, and playful when he was here. There was not a single problem with him ever! I don't get it. . . . she had her vet out and he couldn't tell the cause of death without knowing what his temp was, etc. Let's see, he was 10 weeks old, not vaccinated yet, that I know of (I told her we were not vaccinating babies anymore until at least 10 weeks old) so she knew he was not vaccinated and if she wanted to vaccinate to do it at 9-12 weeks.

He never, ever, ever had a problem here. I am wondering if she was feeding too much grain and not enough hay causing entero?? When he was here, he had pasture every day and free-choice hay, some alfalfa, not a whole lot of grain. She's fairly new with goats. He was de-wormed before he left with Valbazen, never had cocci or diarheea (when he was with us). She picked him up the 29th of September.

I asked her some questions and will let you all know what her answers are.

Also, should I offer to give her a discount or something on another goat from me?? I am positive nothing was wrong with him when he left. I wouldn't have let him leave if I thought something wasn't right.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well first off I'm so sorry this happened. Since on your website it clearly states that you do NOT guaraty the health off an animal after it leaves your farm you really aren't expected to give any discount on another animal.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I just feel guilty like it's my fault or something. . . . but to the best of my knowledge he was perfectly fine. She said she did not think it was at all our fault but she's not sure what happened. She told me he had free-choice grass hay and very little grain and there were no symptoms of illness. No diarheea, snotty nose, runny eyes, etc. He was fine that morning and about 6 hours later, he was very weak and passed away before she could do anything. No signs of bloat. Anyways, it's sad and I feel bad about it.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry you are going through this..........sounds like the buyer is being very nice about the whole ordeal......................... It wasn't either parties fault ....it sounds like you both did things proper.............. It just happened.........and couldn't be foreseen...

Normally you get really angry customers............ if something happened like this......................

I feel sorry for the both of you............ :cry:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Olivia...he was not your responsibility after he left your farm, I'm glad the owner realises that fact..do not feel compelled to offer a discount on another out of feeling guilty..you did nothing wrong and according to hios owner he was fine and healthy, eating well no symptoms of illness and he went down very fast...sounds like a plant poisoning.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ask her if she noticed ANYTHING odd going on with him. I think this was silent pneumonia. Even the most watchful goat owners don't notice anything off about them before they die of that. I just bet that's what happened.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She said absolutely nothing. I asked if he had runny nose, runny eyes, runny poo, cough, anything out of the ordinary and she said no. What are the symptoms of silent pneumonia?? Wouldn't there be some evidence of respiratory problems if it was that?

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, I just looked at the info in Goat Sense 101 on silent pneumonia. Now I'm worried because some of our goats cough sometimes. Not all of them but a couple, I should make sure this isn't a problem with our herd.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, that's the thread I was looking at. If it was silent pneumonia, is it possible he got this while he was at her place (honestly I don't know what her set-up is like at all) or he got it here and took it with him? He was with her for 2 weeks with no problems at all, settled in his new home just fine, so it's not like stress brought it on.

Our goats cough occasionally, not every day, this is normal, right? I cough sometimes (when not sick) to clear my throat or for whatever reason.

We've never lost an adult goat or kid to any disease, just a couple freak accidents. . . . now I'm all worried! :worried:

11. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I don't know alot about silent pneumonia.....

I think that a cough every now and then is normal with goats... but this would be the only other thing I could think of that you could look into. What type of wormer do you use? Does it kill Lungworms? This came from the FiasCo Farm website:

Coughs

Many times a goat's cough is a sign of Lungworm and not an illness.

If a goat is coughing a lot, especially after running or playing, and has no other symptoms, I would worm them with the chemical wormer Ivomec.

Now... about the kid... I am very sorry this has happened, BUT the fact is that the lady has had him for 18 days... and you don't know what kind of condition he was in for those 18 days. So I don't think you should feel obligated to offer a discount or anything, but that is all strictly up to you :hug:

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    One question regarding silent pneumonia. . . . on the thread her goats went off feed a little and just stood in the corner w/ head down. Does this happen with every case or could they truly just fall over dead with no signs of illness whatsoever?? The lady said that he was perfectly fine that morning and ate his food.

One of my baby does has a small cough so I am going to get temp today. Looking at starting everyone on a homeopathic for coughing, especially with winter coming up. . . .

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    silent pneumonia is just that "silent" not warnings signs (most of the time) it kills in hours so if she wasnt paying attention to his every move in the criticle hours there would be nothing to see. and by no means is she at fault, it is so easy to miss.

As to your goats and her goats ---- take a nasal swab to the vet and have it tested for pasterella pneumonia (silent pneumonia).

14. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I just wanted to say that I am so sorry you are going through this. I can't help much on the topic on pneumonia if that is what this was, I have never had to deal with that luckily. But it worries me that there is not many symptoms if any to go by. :shrug: Usually I can diagnosis an illness by the symptoms and then treat them. How do you do that when there is none? I guess just be ready on the first sign they are acting "off" in any way.
    Again I am sorry, and the stress of moving away may have elevated this condition, or it may have developed there. It is hard to say. Don't blame yourself, things happen sometimes with no one to blame. :hug: