The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It has cocci yes. The vet tested the samples today. I'm treating with Neomed which is powdered Neomyicin but was wondering should I treat all goats with medicated feed too? To prevent further problems?? Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has cocci yes. The vet tested the samples today. I'm treating with Neomed which is powdered Neomyicin but was wondering should I treat all goats with medicated feed too? To prevent further problems?? Thank you
So. From what i can see on google.... neomed is for e-coli not cocci. They are two different things. The vet said the goat has cocci and treat for cocci with this? The ecoli does cause scours. Or did the vet say it has e-coli and use the neomed?

Medicated feed is not really a good thing... you have to make sure each animal gets the amount on the package. It will keep coccidosis under control kinda sorta. And a medicated feed will not treat e-coli. If treating for cocci there are different meds for that. You can treat water but it is better to dose each individual for the five day course of the cocci med.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I do agree. Your vet may have meant or said E. Coli, which is treated with antibiotics because it is a bacterial infection.

Coccidia is a protozoan, different lifeform altogether. The cocci treatment I can get is called Corrid, but there are other, better ones.
If you give Corrid, don't give thiamin or B-Complex, because it will prevent the Corrid from working.

Whatever you start to give, continue the full course of treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts