Pygmies or Nigies???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mommalynn, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mommalynn

mommalynn New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    rose hill ks
    Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between them??

In looking at the pics on here of the pygmies they look like my nigies?? Esp in the face. IS there a difference in their faces, ears, noses anything I can compare??
    My nigies are papered so I'm pretty sure they are what I think they are supposed to be?!? :roll:

I do have a doe and doeling that I "inherited" from a friend of mine that I am curious about though. She found them running down the road went door to door for a five mile radius no one claimed them so she brought them to me.
    I think both are preggers no heats for the 3 1/2 months they have been here. I am getting worried about them not knowing when or to what they might be bred to. I am watching them very closely. I think THEY think I have lost my mind. LOL They are no longer WILD but they are NOT lap goats either.
    I do have a vet that raises and shows boers and nubians close by so I feel blessed there.
    If anyone can tell or show me how to tell the difference I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

3. mommalynn

mommalynn New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    rose hill ks
    Thanks Chelsey They are more refined than that pgymy. They are an off white with a reddish cast in color but you can tell they have other colors underneath. They are getting pretty wooly with the cooler weather so the whiter they are looking. I would post a pic but I can't seem to get them to upload to photobucket. Want me to email them to you? They aren't very good but they might help?

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sure. You can email them to me.

5. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hi Lynn,
    Unfortunately, there are some nigies who are less refined than others and not all pygmies are caramel or agouti so you can't always tell that much by color or build. I have an extremely well bred (and triple registered) Nigerian Dwarf doe who gets to looking just like a black pygmy when she puts on too much weight. :oops: We can't all be super models, I guess. LOL. If your girls are papered, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you've had a chance to compare the different breeds side by side, you'll start to notice right away wether or not a goat has more ND or pygmy in it. :wink:

Kristen

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yep, they are sometimes hard to tell apart. And there are DEFINATLY nigerians that look like pygmies :roll:

7. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i must be one of those.....nigerian looking like pygmy.....finally understand. :lol:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It wasn't until I decided to get a couple purebred nigis that I started wondering about my goats lineage. I do know that Hank is pygmy and Tilly has more pygmy than nigi. The color patterns characteristic to pygmies is distinct for the breed. Bootsie is a grey agouti but has the length in body and neck of a nigi. Angels dam is a gold colored nigi/pygmy and Hank being pure pygmy produced a pygmy looking twin to Angel who looks more nigi! Confusing!! Tilly ..whos dam is Bootsie..was a triplet and had a pygmy looking brother as well as a nigi brother..Tillys sire was also a nigi pygmy ...Tilly looks more pygmy...short and squat!! And with Hank has produced a combination of the 2 breeds as far as build and color. I am very certain that there is a noticeable difference in the 2 breeds as I have had both and I am very curious to see what Angel may produce with Chief. As stated in previous responses...Nigerians are more defined in their body lines ....sort of like comparing a Barbie doll to a Cabbage Patch Kid!! :D