Pygmies that have Nigi colors... and body... and...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by OhCee, May 10, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ummm - yah - they are nigis!! Reminds me of the people in the airport yesterday......

Unfortunately alot of people mistake all "minis" as pygmy

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Lmao... K just checking. If you're gonna sell goats... maybe you should know what you have?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah yes the misconception that all small goats are "pgymies"

Its not uncommon for them to be mixed up in the unregistered pet world

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    LOL... did you tell them they have nigies???? I especially love the "I got pygmies" email address. Is it just me or do those not even look like pygmy mixes???? :whatgoat:

6. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Oh No... I should email them and let them know, I guess... and yeah, they're too leggy- don't look pygmy-ish at all.

7. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Where we live everyone selling "mini" goats refer to them as pygmy. We have all mixed breed pygmy/nigis so it doesn't really matter to us, they are just sweet little pets :) They definately don't know the difference though, they just see little goats and call them pygmies! We don't have registered nigis for sale here very often. They don't even show them at the school clubs like they do elsewhere. People mostly deal with the larger breeds boer and nubian.

8. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    They are so CUTE... I breed my pygmy girl to a ND buck so hopefully if she has a baby they are that cute...

Got to love babies no matter what breed they are..

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...Those sre definately some VERY colorful "pygmies"! I personally would email them and tell them they have Nigerians.

Kritterkeeper.....I have pygmy/nigi crosses, if you check out my website, I have some pics of my herd and babies. Color as well as total cuteness!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know if I would go and be telling them they have nigeriand instead of pygmies. What good is it going to do for you them and teh goats? Unsolicited advise doenst always go over well with some people. Just cautioning you to not be overzealous. Being called pygmies doesnt hurt the goats and they are looking healthy enough.

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Everyone around here that sells miniature goats also refers to them as "pygmies". I'm with Stacey on this one, because I've gone out of my way to email several "goat breeders" from CL to let them know what they "really have". Never goes down well. lol

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dotn think you would take to kindly to someone emailing you and telling you what you had for sale wasnt correctly labeled. :shrug: especially when it does nothing to hurt the animal to call it a pygmy.

Ive been on the otherside -- i didnt like it and I doubt anyone else will either.

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, the others are right. Those are not pygmies. They are either full or near full blood nigerians. It's kind of irritating when people don't even know what they have. A simple google search on "pygmy goats" would show them that they don't have pymies there. If they don't know what breed they have that just shows me that they probably don't know to much about care...minerals, dewormers, cocci, hooves, etc. Those probably aren't very healthy goats. But who knows.

I personally would email them and let them know. Send a link to a website showing pygmies and/or nigerians so they can figure it out. Just be really nice. And don't respond once they send an email back if they are "hostile" about it. The email might get them informed even if they don't want to learn.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have to disagree Kylee

I took awesome care of my goats and had never heard of a nigerian dwarf before so I called my mini mixes pygmies as thats what I was told they were and not knowing better I called them that. Then someone came and told me "you dotn have pygmies" and it really upset me in how they went about it.

So best bet -- dont stick your nose where its not asked to be!!!

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hmmmm - I posted up a long thread as I was driving to work and for some reason it is not here......

I have to disagree -

I would definately send them an email. Of course, I would be positive and uplifting in the email, but I would let them know. They probably are completely unaware and would be happy to know. I would not go "overboard" with information, but offer more information if they would like by emailing you back. Maybe mention that pygmy are a meat breed - where Nigis are are a dairy - and it might very well HELP their sells to know. I would hate to see a "newbie" 4h kid buy something that wasn't the correct thing for their project unknowingly

I have had great success the few times that i have emailed a person -

Once was when a lady had listed a buck. She had listed that this particular buck throws blue eyes, all girls, and that he was very fertile and producing lots of twins and trips. She said that she had bought him to breed her girls - they were now bred, and it was time for him to move on as she doesn't keep bucks.

I knew this buck very well. I sent her an email and let her know that this particular buck had a LESS than 25% ratio of throwing girls, as I am the one that bought the herd out where he was born and raised. I also let her know that of his offspring - NONE had had blue eyes. This particular buck's sire had blue eyes, but that was it.... the buck himself did not. I also mentioned that the number of offspring comes from the dam releasing the eggs.

She was so happy to know this information because she didn't want to mislead anyone and was going by what the previous person had told her...... so it had a very happy ending.

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ditto Allison. I just think that if you say something very nicely and not demanding that it would be for the best to send a short little email. I feel as an experienced goat owner/breeder that it is our job to help educate and help uninformed people with their goats in any way possible. The people might be very interested in hearing about it, and if not, then that's ok...it was worth a shot. If I were them I think I would really like to know.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah - I mean - how did we all learn - through education .... so it is definately worth a shot. If they get mad - sorry - that is not what was intended

18. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We are new to having goats.We have had our little farm for about a year now and when we got started all we knew was we wanted "little" goats. We had no idea that there were pygmy or nigerians we thought that they were all "pygmies". Here where we live they don't have alot of registered nigerians for sale so we did not know about them. We now know better and have an appreciation for the two different breeds. We have learned alot about them through the goat spot so maybe you can suggest joining the forum and maybe they will figure it out like we did.We are very thankful we found a great site to talk about our goats otherwise we may have had a few deaths.Truth is, the person probably just has them as a hobby pet like we do and don't really care about "registered" goats so it may be very offensive to them to say anything at all.But that's just my opinion! :wink:

19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'd want to know. :) Everyone needs a mentor at some point. If they don't think they have anything to learn about an animal that they have then they don't belong raising animals. You may not care what breed you have.... but what about potential buyers? 4-H kids.... future breeders... so on and so forth. I don't think anybody is saying they need to be emailed any snide comments.(at least I hope not!) Just some great information. Who doesn't like to learn more about goats??? Gosh I search for the oppurtunity to learn about everything that I can. I only raise Myotonics and Silkies.... but I love learning about all of the other breeds too. It's interesting. Who knows..... there is a chance that more info to these people who were uneducated could spike an interest that helps better the breed.... rather than dilute it. :)

20. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I emailed them. I'd want to know if i was that wrong. It's embarrassing to find out you've been wrong for so long...