The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a couple of Pygmy goats and a couple of Nigerian Dwarf just for pets. 3 Doe and 1 weather. They eat their grains and alfalfa hay since we do not have much for them to forage on due to the extreme drought in Texas. I have been a veterinary technician for over 30 years, but only with dogs and cats, so I am learning everything I can about how to provide the best care for these sweet babies. I know in dogs and cats switching food brands can cause major digestive upset. In goats, if I feed Alfalfa hay and have to get it from a different source and it is a little different, is that going to cause them any issues?
I have been feeding them the Standlee compressed Alfalfa/Grass Mix, but have found another brand that is less expensive and looks like a good quality. Needless to say, they are so spoiled and I want to keep them healthy and have the least issues possible so they can be happy, happy goats. :)

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,943 Posts
Welcome to TGS and congratulations on some new goats! If you could change over the course of a week or two, I'm sure their systems would be much happier. That being said, I have had to change hay without any transition period before and my goats were fine although they had pasture available as well at the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to TGS and congratulations on some new goats! If you could change over the course of a week or two, I'm sure their systems would be much happier. That being said, I have had to change hay without any transition period before and my goats were fine although they had pasture available as well at the time.
Thanks, I assumed they would be similar to dogs etc when it comes to changing foods. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks
Welcome to TGS. Any dietary change should be done slowly but sometimes you just can't do it with hay.
The spoiled babies would not eat the new hay, so we are back to the alfalfa/orchard grass mix. We also feed them grains twice a day since we don't have much forage due to the drought. Is the grain ok for them, I have read mixed reviews.

·
Registered
Goats, Sheep, Rabbits, Cow, Dogs, Cats, Fish, Quail, Turkeys, Deer and hopefully soon to be ducks
5,981 Posts
As long as they are a healthy weight, you definitely do not HAVE to give grain. It's your choice. Also, make sure it's a good Calcium to Phosphorus ratio for the wether. Don't want any stones.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Welcome the TGS!
This is a wonderful place to share the love of goats and to learn a ton of things!
Your goats are soooo cute!!
As mentioned above, the combined calcium/ phosphorus ratio of all the feed they eat is important, especially for the wether. It should be around 1:2 ca/ph.
I give my kids a small amount of grain until 6 months old. After that it is only lactating goats that get grain, and does in late pregnancy. But of course it is totally up to you.
I have a wether who does not get grain, and he is chubby, just from hay and browse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts