Pygmy classes

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by goathappy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hi everybody,

As you know, I and a few other members are the adminstrators of the Goat Shows, an online goat show for those of us who can't make it to shows. We are currently setting up the classes for the pygmy show, and since none of us have any knowledge of showing pygmy goats, we were wondering what the age classes should be.

Thank you for your help :D

http://goatshows.freeforums.org

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can try the NPGA...npga.org for more info and ideas on how they class them, I also think the AGS has also recently included pygmies in their registries.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Really? The AGS has pygmies now?
    Ok I'll check out the NPGA later, thanks :D

4. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    The classes are usually the same as with Dairy goats, only 2 year olds are not shown with three year olds, often times, because Pygmies mature at a slower rate than alot of breeds, so a 2 and 3 year old can look vastly different. 3-4 year olds are usually combined. And then it's 5 and older.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I think (not positive) that the AGS use to allow Pygmies, doesn't anymore.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I just checked the member handbook for AGS and they do register Pygmy's so there is even more of a "wide" area to search!
    The breed specific disqualifications for a pygmy are: Naturally Polled, Roman nose, cannon over 4.6" in bucks and 3.7" in does,Pendulous ears,and height..over 22 1/2" in does and 23 1/2 " in bucks.

If you check out the AGS site http://www.americangoatsociety.com there is a list of district reps that you can contact for info. Hope this helps!!