The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old Pygmy doe that was successfully bred a couple years ago and was assisted by my vet to kid. She had twins that were full term but died in utero. The vet tech had to reach inside her and pull the kids out. I have tried breeding her twice by leaving her with my buck who always gets the job done, for 45 days and she has not taken. She shows signs of heat but doesn't get bred. Could the tech have damaged something when she assisted the birth? Can goats develop hormone problems? Looking for some advice about what I could do. I've head goats for a while but haven't had this happen before.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
First thing I would do is check her next time she is in heat and make sure there's no bad or funny smells coming from her girly parts. She could have a infection. If she does then she would need to be flushed out when she's In heat. I've never had to do this only read because I too had a doe who wouldn't breed back. She ended up being cystic. Signs of that is not regular heats (she would come into heat every 30 something days, but have heard other that came into heat every few days or so) she was also acting very Bucky but I'm not sure if every cystic doe does that or not. So I would start with a smell test ( lol) and then if you haven't been keep track of how often she comes into heat.
I know minerals will also cause a doe to not breed but if it's only one doe then I wouldn't focus that hard on that till you rule the other 2 causes out and of course I'm sure there is a good possibility that something might have been damaged and she simply can not breed any more.......years ago I read that a torn uterus can happen and the doe still live. That was just false hope for me but I did read it lol

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would be willing to bet she had an infection from her last birthing that went untreated. I'm not sure what to suggest except to speak to a vet about it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing I would do is check her next time she is in heat and make sure there's no bad or funny smells coming from her girly parts. She could have a infection. If she does then she would need to be flushed out when she's In heat. I've never had to do this only read because I too had a doe who wouldn't breed back. She ended up being cystic. Signs of that is not regular heats (she would come into heat every 30 something days, but have heard other that came into heat every few days or so) she was also acting very Bucky but I'm not sure if every cystic doe does that or not. So I would start with a smell test ( lol) and then if you haven't been keep track of how often she comes into heat.
I know minerals will also cause a doe to not breed but if it's only one doe then I wouldn't focus that hard on that till you rule the other 2 causes out and of course I'm sure there is a good possibility that something might have been damaged and she simply can not breed any more.......years ago I read that a torn uterus can happen and the doe still live. That was just false hope for me but I did read it lol
Before I tried to breed her last year she was acting very bucky and I thought that was odd. I wasn't sure if she was in heat because it was happening every few days, but when I put her back in with a buck, she didn't show any other signs of heat or wanting to breed. That seems to have subsided. Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts