The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had these goats since about 8 weeks, we are newbies, but I try to research, the smallest twin was very sickly for a while so I took him to the vet they gave several shots for mites and I’ve been putting diamatious down occasionally, anyway he gained wieght and seemed so much better but still super small, stunted I believe, and we were gone a week with someone staying here and feeding and I get back and notice he ran up to me for food and sounds very congested... so I just take him to the vet ? Or any home remedies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have had these goats since about 8 weeks, we are newbies, but I try to research, the smallest twin was very sickly for a while so I took him to the vet they gave several shots for mites and I've been putting diamatious down occasionally, anyway he gained wieght and seemed so much better but still super small, stunted I believe, and we were gone a week with someone staying here and feeding and I get back and notice he ran up to me for food and sounds very congested... so I just take him to the vet ? Or any home remedies?
Btw we have had them for at least 6 months it was before Thanksgiving when we got them

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,547 Posts
If you think his growth is stunted you should get a fecal done. It could very likely be coccidia. I think a while back someone said that coccidia can even cause congestion, but I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly.

Get a temp on him. Check his FAMACHA too, that's bottom eyelid color if you don't know. It should be a nice dark pink.

You could give him some vitamin c tablets, and a drop of VetRx in each nostril. If he's got mucous in his nose, and you have one of the bulb syringes like for babies, you could suck it out and then put the VetRx in. A clove or too of garlic couldn't hurt him either.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
What's his temperature?
I agree get a fecal.
Can you post a pic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts