The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 yr old Pygmy goat that is a back yard goat who is only with the chickens. Well the last couple of weeks her nipples started to drop and got more pronounced as the week past. Well today they looked full with a sack above them. So I felt them to see if they were hot for infection. They were fine. So I decided to try to sqeeze and darn it if I did not get milk. I continued till it gave me about 32 oz. but she has never been around another goat. Can you milk them without breeding?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
Yep...precocious udder sounds right. I don't think if I had a goat to have one that I would milk and drink it...

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Sometimes those hormones kick in and there's no stopping it. If you want milk and it looks good and clean..then go for it. If you don't want to milk her..and she won't dry up...you could get her an orphan baby to try to graft to her. But be ready to bottle feed until she takes baby in. A friend had an older Doe do this and she could not get her to dry up no matter what she did..so she enjoyed goat milk ice cream. But she did deal with mastitis a few times so keep a close eye on her udder and milk condition. Mastitis is not unheard of with a PU.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Ps..is she a companion goat to another animal?

Oops read. I see she's with chickens. Has she ever had another goat friend?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure if you do milk her, that you have something to close the teat orifice back up. (Like iodine dip, for example) If dirt or something gets in there it can cause mastitis, which is a lot of pain and discomfort for the doe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts