The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to adopt a goat for a pet but I have a dog and a cat too. Will the goat be comfortable with the other animals? And, can I adopt a pygmy goat in a big house with big yard? And while I'm not at home at 8-2:40?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
This may sould like a smart alec answer but:

It depends.

Some dogs do well with goats, others will kill them. Some goats do well with dogs, others are terrified of them and will bite and head butt them.

Where will the goat be when you are at work/school? Alone in the house, running loose? In a crate? In a outside pen?

Goats like to jump and climb. Are you ready for a goat jumping on your kitchen table? Chewing your furniture?

Do you have the patiences to house break a goat? Some goats take to it well, others do not. Goats spend a lot of time pooping and peeing.

How will you feed your goat hay inside your house? Hay makes an awful mess.

What are the zoning laws in yoru town? Some places will flatly not allow a farm animal in the town limits.

These are just a few of the questions one needs to answer before getting a goat for an inside pet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Goats are cute smart and funny, but I think they are outside animals. I've had a kid I raised indoors. They can be potty trained when young but it seems to go away as they mature. They poop and pee a lot. They are destructive outside to trees- cars- whatever they can get too. I can't imagine what a grown one might do to the inside of a house.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love goats! Mine are just pets and spoiled. I only have two for this reason, and here's my two cents.

One goat will not be happy alone all day. It WILL get into trouble. Well, it'll get in trouble with a companion too because that's what they do, but it'll be happy. You can have two needy goats that were raised as bottle babies and imprinted on people. They won't be lonely all day while you're working, but they will work as a team to let out the first holler of excitement when you're home and both will rush up to you.

Back to them being destructive - they LOVE houses! Mine try to run in the house all the time. I have to beat them to the door and shut the door in their face because they want to come inside. They want to jump on everything, taste test everything, and potty everywhere in the meantime. Goats do not potty train. They go as nature calls - it doesn't work like a dog digestive system. Diapering a semi-grown to adult goat is impossible as far as I have found. It was hard enough keeping a diaper on a 3 month old baby for a period of time when I needed to.

Last, they need to be outside a lot in fresh air and tasting plants. Hay needs to be available all other times and hay is SOOOOO messy. Granted, you could take them out and walk them often when you're home, long as you had hay available inside. It could work. Would I do it? Never. And I love my goats so much, but I know it would be a disaster.

Chances are unless you can get special approval from your town, it's illegal. And someone will tattle on you eventually after you're attached to your goat. Unless you're out in the country... Now I did have a friend that lived in town with a goat. he had a kennel in the garage, and also the whole back yard was fenced for him to graze and play. She had special approval to have him in town as a therapy goat. She was also a stay at home mom with special needs children, so he was always with people.It worked quite well, but he did not live indoors.

Oh, and as far as getting along with the dog and cat, maybe. A lot of times they will, but sometimes they don't. A butting goat can hurt a dog or cat, and they don't always mean it aggressively, just being playful. A good sized dog can really hurt a goat. My goats don't really interact with my dogs and cats. Every now and then one will sniff the other and move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts