pygmy horn banding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Mar 24, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I know dehorning using elastrator bands has been discussed, but I'm wondering if anyone has specifically used the technique on pygmys. They seem to have a horn structure that doesn't lend itself to banding. The horn slopes sharply and I can't seem to feel a decent base to put the band around.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think people have done it. How old is this goat?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yes, it can be done. You can always use something to notch around the base of the horn to better hold the band on. I do believe Kelebek has banded pygmies before.

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    The goats are about 5 and 3 months old.

I'm a little confused about banding. You don't really band the horns themselves, correct? Don't you need to get the band over the blood vessels supplying the horn?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I used to have a link for band dehorning, but I lost it :roll:

It helps to shave the base of the horns so that you can see what you are doing. When you put the band on, you have to get the band worked as far down on the fleshy base of the horn to cut off blood supply. Then you can wrap it in tape to keep the band there.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Helmstead has done it. You can take a dremel tool and make a notch all the way around the horn for the band to stay put.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I just did it about 6 weeks ago to my moms nigi/pygmy doe. You will have a hard time getting that band on an adult goat but at 3 and 5 months old it will be ALOT easier! The horns are not as long and the curve shouldn't be a problem, use an elastrater as well as the bands and get those bands as close to the head as possible. The doe I did I had a problem gettin the band down far enough at the back ofthe horn but it still worked.....she was an aggressive doe and ended up knocking the horns off within a week of each other.....no bleeding either.