Pygmy recovering from mauling-flashbacks or PTSD?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HBN, Oct 11, 2018.

1. HBN

HBN New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Update 2: Layla passed away on Monday 10/15. It turns out the initial veterinarian missed significant injuries to her head and spine and she was suffering a brain bleed these past few weeks. I am devastated and processing. Both she and DeeDee were such amazing souls and I feel responsible as a member of the human race that a human caused them so much pain.

Update: Unfortunately, it is not a good one. Layla started having balance and coordination issues. She started having difficulty lifting her feet and would drag her left hoof, her neck dropped and started listing to the left and she even fell a few times due her inability to keep her legs underneath her. She continues to scream. She is in bad shape, not with it and is clearly struggling both mentally and physically so she is back at the vet (a different one than mentioned before) and they are assessing her for neurological damage as they've ruled everything else out. This vet said the random screaming was a neurological symptom but, in the other vet's defense, this one had the benefit of seeing all the other symptoms that came later. It could be a stroke, brain damage, infection from the dog attack, we don't know yet. However, if her condition is not treatable or does not improve, I cannot allow her to live in the condition she is currently in - I have consulted with others and seeing her struggle we all agree that unless she can improve it is not a good quality of life. Before this started her wounds were healing and we thought she was doing well, so this is a curve ball. She is such a fighter and she has chosen and fought to live so many times - it is a miracle she's still here. We're hoping she'll do the impossible again but unfortunately this time, if it is brain damage that permanently impedes her ability to function, no amount of fight can can fix it. She has a CAT scan this afternoon. Please wish us luck.

Hi all, three weeks ago an idiot put his mastiff in my goat pen (obviously without my permission or knowledge) and the dog killed one of my baby pygmies and almost killed the other. Three weeks later, Layla is still with us but the dog was in the pen for 6 hours before it was discovered and he did a number on her. It seems her physical injuries are improving (although she is still on pain meds and antibiotics) but she is beginning to exhibit behavior that the vet can't explain medically - she will all of a sudden start screaming as if she is in terror and her eyes will get large. Two nights ago she did this twice, last night three times. Today she was shaking but she didn't have a fever. The x-rays showed that the skull did not penetrate the brain but there was some damage to her head and we know that it will be awhile for her neural plasticity to do its work. She's seen vets since the attack and have said they think she will make a full or almost full recovery. She is eating, pooping, we put her back on the bottle with fresh goats milk to keep her hydrated and get her some nutrients. She was born 5/11/18 so while it is late for the bottle we thought it might help her and at least provide her comfort. She is walking but still sore and nowhere near herself yet.

We are trying to figure out why she is randomly screaming. These are our current hypothesis: -flashbacks to the attack
    -some kind of PTSD
    -her nerve endings are coming back online
    -her neurological systems are waking back up

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Obviously, we are just keeping her as comfortable as possible and providing care but it would be nice to know what is causing this in case we can do something to help her. Again, the vet doesn't have an explanation and says that she is on the mend.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Sfgwife likes this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    oh no thats terrible! poor girl :( i dont know what it could be but sounds as if your doing your best hope she recovers

HBN likes this.

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    That is so terrible, I'm so, so sorry that happened! Poor goats. :( I would've shot that dog on sight if I'd have seen it in my goat pen.

Does Layla have any other goat friends around? Hope you find out why she's screaming randomly. :(

HBN and elvis&oliver like this.
  4. HBN

HBN New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thank you, we're doing what we can and the fact that she is alive is a miracle but it hard to see her like this :(

5. HBN

HBN New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thank you, it was a rough introduction to goats (my first two). She is being rehabbed at her breeder so she is staying inside with some bottle babies. She hasn't shown any interest in them and even seems scared of them when they bounce around, we presume because she doesn't want them to run into her because she is sore. But when she is ready and interested there are plenty of goaty friends for her to fraternize with. We're just trusting the vets that things are getting better, but this screaming is so sad to hear.

elvis&oliver and Goat_Scout like this.
  6. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Poor girl, she's probably also very traumatized from seeing her best friend get killed. :(I'm sure she misses her.

HBN likes this.
  7. HBN

HBN New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Most definitely. We're trying not to anthropomorphize too much but psychological trauma/flashbacks is the thing we just keep coming back to.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you looked into herbs and essential oils that could help with healing and psychological?

HBN and Goat_Scout like this.
  9. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I have no experience with this sort of thing in animals but you might try some music or having the tv on in the background to help distract her from what's going on inside her head (if that's what it is). It doesn't seem like she's looking for her friend, does it? I'm so sorry you guys went through that. Hopefully, when she's healthier and ready to go back home, she'll have made at least one friend that you guys can buy and take back with her.
    Edit: if I was a prey animal that had recently been attacked, I would probably want to hide is small spaces when I got scared or paranoid. Maybe try placing small dog crates or shelters made of scrap wood out for her, anything just big enough for her. I don't know if it will work but it's what I would do.

HBN, elvis&oliver and groovyoldlady like this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree with making a small place for her to get into. It does sound like PTSD. So sorry this all happened. I hope the person who put the dog with the goats learned a valuable lesson.

11. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh my. The things people will do! My inner mama goat wants to come out there and do some serious head-butting. Grrr!

I am so sorry that you and your goat are going through this. No advice, just (((((Hugs)))))

HBN likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She doesn't sound happy with the little ones. It may be why she is screaming.
    She may of been run into and it hurt, when they bounce around.

I agree with a place to go into for security.
    But the kids will want to go in there too.

I wouldn't of put her back on milk though, it could cause stomach issues, being 5 months now.

13. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Goodness poor goatie and poor you! I am sorry this happened! Please tell me that the dolt that did this IS payin for all vet bills AND replacin the one you lost and time and suffering and gas?

HBN, Damfino, Goat town and 2 others like this.
  14. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    What a horrible experience! I hope your little sweetie comes through ok. I have no advice about the screaming, but whatever is causing it, I hope these episodes subside soon.

HBN likes this.
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok this is the crazy goat lady coming out of me. you could put her in the house. that may help since she does like people, but if shes n the house when she starts screaming u could comfort her. just a thought

HBN and Damfino like this.
  16. Sara+pumpkin

Sara+pumpkin Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m so sorry, that is awful. It sounds like you’re doing an amazing job keeping her comfortable. Keep us updated<3

HBN likes this.
  17. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Sheesh what a hard thing for you and your little goat to go through I can’t even imagine! How great that you’re trying to figure out her terrors I applaud you for this! She has a good human parent for sure! Good luck I hope you figure it out and she recovers soon:)

HBN and toth boer goats like this.
  18. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’m trying to focus on your question but have to ask, what kind of sick individual would put a dog in with baby goats? Was there no one around? He/She would be answering this within a jail cell. I would seriously hurt someone if I saw/caught them doing an harm to an animal.

All I can suggest is patience and a peaceful environment. This just makes me physically ill.

MadCatX, HBN, Goat_Scout and 3 others like this.
  19. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    The first time I read the post I must've missed the part where someone intentionally put his dog with the kids. Many LGDs even have to be supervised with little ones, but someone thought that a dog with paws bigger than the kids' heads would be okay alone? That's, like, either young child stupid, or straight up animal cruelty. I would love to know how that happened and what happened to the dog and owner after, if you don't mind.

But more than that I want to know how the baby is doing. Is she off antibiotics yet? Has the screaming stopped or changed at all?

Goat_Scout and HBN like this.
  20. HBN

HBN New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Unfortunately, the update is not good, see my edited post. She is going in for a CAT scan this afternoon and we’ll know more after that.