Pygmy wether behavior

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Hollie85, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Hollie85

Hollie85 Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Nc
    Hey guys. I have a 4 year old pygmy wether named Tucker. He's nice sometimes but most of the time he tries to hook me with his horns and pushes me. I have a new kid and he is a wether too. I hope he won't act like Tucker! Why is he so mean? They are the only two that I have.

2. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Did you raise Tucker from a kid? I'm new at this but reading everything..read an article saying to handle your kids as much as possible will teach them the boundries you desire from the start. When our baby tries to butt in play we tap her nose and don't encourage it. By instincts they know how to use their horns in defense. My goats are purly pets!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If he was an only goat, then he is treating you like another goat.

4. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    He isn't being mean that is how goats play with each other he will be fine with your other goat! :)

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A water spray bottle is good to keep in hand for this type of behavior. He may be playing, but he could also be being aggressive, it's hard to tell without seeing it. Was he bottle raised? Bottle raised goats tend to need more reinforcement about boundaries with humans.

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

He is testing his boundaries - time to establish some firm ones!

7. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Katey has the right idea, I use a water spray bottle to correct my dogs, and just by chance and habit grabbed it to break up a disagreement with Oreo (momma goat) and my little Manchester (one size up from min_

8. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Oops. Sorry, but she's one size up from a min-pin dog. So their matched pretty even except for Oreo's horns. Though I don't leave the two unsupervised, the dogs love to interact with the goats, if either get too aggressive a few shots of water gets their attention and I have the time to remove one or the other. Little baby Feta is 8weeks old tomorrow and she loves to get into my purse, dog food, moss in the planters, a little squirt and a firm NO! sure gets her attention!