The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young pygmy who has had frequent diarrhea over the past 5 days. I dewormed him Sunday and put Corid in his water just in case of Cocc. His diarrhea has gotten worse and he is very weak, but still eating. Today I injected him with 2mL of Iron 100, fed him honey and electrolytes, put pedialyte in his water, fed him Vita Charge, and dewormed him again. His eye lids are too light of a color. The diarrhea is very runny...sometimes brown and sometimes green. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on the situation? I use Valbazen wormer. So far his energy is somewhat improving, but he is still pretty weak, he has a hard time standing back up after he lays down. :confused::(

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You should really drench him with the corid. Not sure on the dosage since I don't use it.

Did you dose the valbazen at 1cc per 10 lbs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would recommend a fecal from the vet. They're only $25 around here. Cheaper than purchasing and treating with the wrong meds.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The diarrhea needs to be stopped first.... and the cocci med should definitely be dosed according to weight to the kid, putting it in drinking water will not ensure the med is being taken.

6 cc Pepto Bismol every 6 hours, electrolytes drenched initially to hydrate and no grain, dry oatmeal..not the instant kind, hay and probiotics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stop using Corid. Too many owners have lost their goats in exactly same manner after using the Corid, use pepto to stop diarrhea, take fecal to find out what to treat, but stop using the Corid. Give electrolytes in some fashion to get appetite up, withhold any oats or grain give lots of hay preferably the alfalfa stuff ( has more nutritional value)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gizmo update: he is still very weak, but drinking and eating well. I am going to get the pepto right now and will stop the Corid. I will also get electrolytes and a probiotic. I have been giving 3/4 cc of the Valbazen because he is still not quite 10 lbs. Is there anything else I should get?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You really need to have a fecal done to know what you are dealing with. Make sure they include coccidia.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am trying to find a vet that I can take a fecal sample to, but we are way out so there aren't many places under an hour or so away! I'm trying though

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a vet yesterday afternoon and dropped off a fecal sample. Unfortunately it was too late :( Gizmo passed away in the middle of the night at the young age of 4 months :( The vet called this morning and he had Cocci and 2 types of intestinal parasites that they said are almost impossible to get rid of. The Valbazen wouldn't have worked, only an Rx could have stopped it at the rate it was going, but they said he was too small to even use it :( I guess that death is always part of farming, but will always be difficult. I have to worry about the other 12 of my heard now. They are mostly nubians but I have a couple of almost everything. I need your guys help on what I should do about making sure the rest of my herd don't contract Cocci and I need to buy a new dewormer. I am going out now to bleach all of my stalls and everything. Please give me any advice that you have!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
get some baycox you have order it on line. that will /should take care of the coccidia. if you cant get that get a sulfa drug of somesort. as for the other parasites call the vet and see what they were so that you can have the proper wormer on hand.. sorry to hear your little buddy didnt make it.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Perhaps those of you that use Baycox could share with goatfarmer where/how to get it and the proper dose since it is all new to goatfarmer.
I use Di-methox 40% injectible, giving orally, at the rate of 1cc/16lbs for cocci and would do the same for prevention if I thought it was warranted. I give the Di-Methox once a day and would be giving Pepto Bismol to any goat with diarrhea.
Goatfarmer, I believe the vet/vet assistant gave you some misleading advice that you can't buy a wormer that will work without a prescription. Since you did worm your little guy and the fecal you took in (good job BTW) showed some parasites, we can assume the parasites were resistant. What did you use? Panacur and safeguard don't work in most areas these days. Ivermectin works in some areas, but is not effective anymore in others. I use Cydectin (Moxidectin) in the form of Quest horse wormer. I dose it at 2x the weight. ie. a 50lb goat would get 100lbs of paste. A 100lb goat would get the 200lb dose of paste. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will it hurt to give my goats the Baycox or Di-methox if they don't have Cocci? Just to use as a prevention? Also, what is the best broad spectrum wormer?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I am so sorry you lost Gizmo :)

His age and weight tells me that regardless of whether he came from "slow growing genetics" that weight was too low....when I bred pygmies and pygmy/Nigerian crosses my kids averaged 2.8-3lbs at birth and by 4 weeks old they were at or above 10lbs, your little guy could very well have had a congenital problem that contributed to his rate of growth as well as the parasite issue.
When the vet said he had 2 types of intestinal parasites those could have been why he wasn't absorbing nutrition from his food.
Febendazole is a broad spectram wormer but has been known to become resistant. It needs to be dosed as with many wormers at 3x the goats weight and given for 3 consecutive days every 10 days for 3 courses. And a fecal should be done within 3 days after the last dose to see if it worked.

As far as coccidia prevention, though I have used DiMethox 12.5% as a preventative I no longer do, it's best to just treat when needed and once kids arrive keeping all hay off the ground and feeders clean as well as allowing sunlight to reach pen floors and if possible the barn will keep cocci numbers in check.
I would also suggest to get either 12.5% sulmet or 12.5% DiMethox as well as Pepto bismol to keep on hand to use as soon as it is needed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your advice everyone. Yes he was below weight, but we weren't too sure on it because he was our only Pygmy. We got him for my little cousin because she spends a lot of time over here on our farm :( she was very upset, but we put on a nice funeral for him. Like my papaw always says "the only people who don't lose a goat are the people who don't have any". Liz- thank you so much for sharing your wisdom :) what do you mean by giving them 3x their weight?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh I had no idea that was what I was supposed to be doing. I will start doing that. Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too lost a young kid from cocci & the intestinal parasites you were discussing. The State Vet did necropsy so everything was laid out there. My vet recommended "Pancur" for the remainder of my herd & so far everything has been going well. There are lots of different meds for cocci, however the parasites that you're mentioning May need something different - look into the Panacur.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts