The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old pygmy who won't put any weight on his back right leg. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his hoof or leg and it doesn't look like he stepped on anything and he lets me look at it without any problems. I'm new at having goats any tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an adult boer goat who's weathered but they've never had any problems before but he's the only other animal that has access to my pygmy. I have them separated for now but they keep calling for eachother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any whitetail around no. And is there anything I can do keep his leg from hurting him?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You can give aspirin but you will have to search on here for the dosage. I use Banamine for pain and inflammation but you have to get that from the vet. It is 1cc per 100lbs.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
He may have twisted it while playing..a baby aspirin may help a bit but you dont want to take the pain totally away since you want him to baby it some and not add further injury..if he does not improve in a few days I would visit a vet and see whats going on..some things to watch for are swelling and heat in the leg..it spreading to another leg...if he stops eating or acts like he's not feeling well are all signs more is going on them a hurt leg..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave him some baby asprin about an hour ago and he's starting to put some weight on it again! Thank ya'll so much!!! I've only had goats for a couple months and this was the first injury that has happened so I was freaking out a little bit! Thank ya'll so much for all the help!!! And he had a shot a couple weeks ago in the thigh area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's still chomping away at everything in his path so I think he probably did just hurt while playing with my big goat. I'm going to keep them separated for the night at least and see how he is in the morning before I put them back together.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
good news... : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts