The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 4 month old pygmy goat. He has been dealing with urinary calculi and now he has prolapse of his rectum. I took him to the vet on Thursday after noticing he was bleeding from his penis. He has been crying a lot and he is on heavy antibiotics. All he does is lay around and when fed his antibiotics he just gots back to laying. Not active and I am scared that he isn't going to make it. He is incredibly bloated and this my first goat. I am lost on what to do at this point because my vet wasn't very clear with what will happen.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear that. You may have trouble getting people to respond to this post with that title, they won't know you need help. Has he had any meds for pain? Has he been given any ammonium chloride? He needs both quickly to reduce inflammation and to break up the blockage. Just antibiotics wont do that. The dose on the AC is one teaspoon per 75 lbs body weight every twelve hours. Mix it with water and drench him with it. But you need to deal with the bloat right away. He needs oil and a bit of baking soda. Drench him with that and massage his little tummy too to help him pass the gas.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
But, to get more answers to your post try putting it in the medical section and label it emergency or help. Folks here will help you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If you have any fruit fresh at home use that until you can get the other. Use more of it and more often. I will look and see of I can help with doses on that. In a pinch you can use aspirin (one regular aspirin per 10 lbs) or ibuprophin at double the human dose. Don't use any other household stuff. Check out Fiasco farm's web page, they have a lot of great info. Insure hope your little guy gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. This is my first goat and I am feeling very helpless right now. I just hate to see him in pain. He is on antibiotics including uroeze an also smp-tmz. I have been watching him but he is being very antisocial and seems to be very weak.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm so sorry, this is a tough thing to deal with. I am not the most experienced person here to help you but hopefully someone will come on soon to offer more advice. Is his bloated part at the bottom of his tummy or up near his spine? I have heard of people cutting off the pizzle (at the tip of his penis) thereby removing enough of the blockage to allow the urine to flow. The vet could do it for you. There are articles on line about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bloated at the bottom of his tummy. As much as I hope to believe the antibiotics are helping, I feel if he is straining his body to the point of prolapse, he probably is still having major blockage issues.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I see the uroeze has the AC in it that's good. I think I would try to give him something for pain. Do you know anyone that could give you some banamine? That would be nice just because it is injectable. Lots of goat people keep it around as do horse people.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I agree with you about the blockage. Go to bendingtreeranch.com/images/UC.pdf it had a great description and picture of the process I am thinking of. It's desperate measures but it might save his life if you need to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know anyone that can get me some pain medication. I will just have to take him to the vet in the am and hope they can fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yea, it is hard to say that you should get some aspirin or ibuprophin in him, because the water you would have to use to give it to him. Sounds like right now he can't get any urine out. Just to be clear, now that I understand that his abdomen is bloated you and not his rumen, you do Not want to drench him with oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice and help. Unfortunately I took him to the vet this morning and his bladder had ruptured. I had to put him down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts