Pyrenees as guard dog

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Jan 28, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Does anyone use a Great Pyrenees as a guard animal for your goats? I visited a sheep operation over the weekend and the farmer had one. Impressive animal with amazing instincts. I think we would prefer a dog to a llama or donkey.

Any thoughts?
  2. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I think you will find lots of folks with pyrs for guard dogs - they are great (check out MissMM posts - she has one). I have a maremma (the italian version) and she is the greatest!

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I absolutely adore my Great Pyrenees. I'm sure there are multiple other breeds that are just as good as an LGD....... but I am partial to my Athena. She has proven to be just amazing with the goaties. We have a long driveway to get from the township road to the goat barn. If a strange vehicle, person, or animal is coming down the road, Athena gives the goaties a "look" and they scram back into the barn. Athena will stand in the doorway of the barn and not let them back out until she's certain the visitor is someone that's supposed to be there. If it's a stray dog or other animal, she growls like I've never heard a dog growl before. The only thing that's gone into the barn since we got her are the skunks..... and our barn cat takes care of those.

She knows the UPS, MedForHomes and Oxygen vehicles (for Grandma's stuff) and no longer scares those guys off the property. She is not aggressive to humans and is so incredibly gentle it's hard to leave her in the goat barn.

p.s.: she does come in on extremely cold days, like when it's -20 below outside.

Attached Files:

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    most importantly.... even though I can hear the coyotes at night and I know there's at least 2 dens within 1000 ft of the goat pen, I haven't seen coyote tracks in the pasture since we've had Athena.

Attached Files:

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Mine are half Great Pyreneese and half Anatolian
  6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    we have an Anatolian. I will never be without an LGD he is worth his weight in gold!!
    A few yrs back there was an article in the paper about a herd of some 20 sheep with a Great Pyr. There was a horrible barn fire. That one dog on his own initiative brought all but one or two out to safety. He himself was burned but recovered.
  7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I had two great pyrenees in with my herd. They were born and raised with goats and they did their job VERY VERY VERY well.
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a 1/2 Brazillian Mastiff, 1/4 English Mastiff, 1/4 Pyrenese (ok actually 2 of them) and I just love them. I got Luna at 5 weeks and her littermate sister at 14 months old.

Luna started with the goaties at 8 months old and does wonderful with them. Gets a little "over excited" to play once in a while - but knows how to round them up for me and won't chase them.

Paris on the other hand is NOT allowed in the pen with them. She will chase them to death, but she was not socialized as a pup and she didn't come around them until she was older.

Although i don't leave Luna in the pen without me out there - they will not let anything near the pens either.
  9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have 2 Great Pyrenees but they're not in with the goats but they'll tell us when a stranger is on our property or predators. We've had them when they were 11 weeks old and they're 2 years old now, they were raised with Alpacas though.
  10. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm talking with someone who has pups that are half pyrenees and half maremma. The price is extremely reasonable. I'm a little concerned about the timing. The pups are about a month old. I'll be getting kids in April and lambs in July. I have no livestock presently.

What do you think?