The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a newer goat owner, I am finally having to battle lice.... Its disgusting, all 10 goats/kids have them!

So I went to the store today and found some Python dust. Before I am to go ahead and treat, does anyone have any advice or tips on using it?

I was planning to first dust each individual as well as I can. Around the head, neck, legs etc. I'll try to avoid the eyes as best as I can. But I see nits even on their cheeks so I'm wondering how to go about dusting sensitive areas... Then once they are dusted, I was going to dust the stalls and apply fresh hay afterwards.

How does this sound? The product warns about inhaling and touching it. But if so toxic to us, why not the goats? Just curious.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,464 Posts
I was concerned about using it, but ended up having no problems at all. There is virtually no odor and it's not bad to work with as long as it's not a windy day!

You can brush their fur up backwards, apply the powder with gloved hands (and hold your breath) and then smooth the fur back down. You do NOT need to put the powder on their face to kill the lice there. The general application should take care of it.

In the stall just sprinkle it around liberally - again with gloves and wearing a mask or holding your breath (I hate masks - can you tell?). Then close the door and let it settle. Once it is settled, you can add bedding. If you normally use hay for bedding, you might want to switch to pine shavings - just for the day you use the powder - so the goats aren't eating any of the powder. Repeat the applications to to animals and to their environment weekly until there are no more nits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta say, I'm very happy with how well it worked. All lice are gone. Definitely need to wear a mask next time, I got really sneezy.

I was worried and shocked to see the goats lick themselves to itch... But they seem to be doing just fine. Some of the kids still have lots of nits, so I'll redust in another week or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts