Q about feeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Apr 5, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I'm getting my damara ewes today - they are heavily heavily pregnant - ready to pop basically at any time now.

They've been on just pasture. Now, with my goats and sheep, I run them on just pasture from the end of the joining period up to 4 weeks before kidding/lambing. That is when I bring them into the maternity paddock (small, close to the house) and do lots of checks. I give them hay and grain here, starting them off slowly and by the time they give birth they are having between 500g and 1kg of grain each, per day.

With these ewes, they arent used to grain and I dont have the time to slowly introduce them to feed before they drop. So should I just wait until they drop? Or should I start introducing them now and just slowly build it up after they drop?

I dont know if I'm explaining this right ... :scratch:

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. I think I would start to slowly introduce it now. But I don't know much about sheep, well, I know nothing about them. But it is what I would try.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks, lol they are not that different to goats, just think of it as a goat that is allergic to copper!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would start them off with a quarter of your normal ration and over a few days gradually up it til they are accustomed to it. You obviously know your critters, so you would be able to tell if the grain is not agreeing with their systems.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Start 'em off at 1/2 lb grain per head and increase it by 1/2 pound per week until they're up to 2lb by the time they lamb. You got 4 weeks you should be ok =]

That's what I did with my mulses - just dont increase it too fast or you'll get them sick.

:greengrin:

LW