Q's about Orf...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've never dealt with Orf before therefore I haven't done much research on it. I was at a ladies farm that I recently met off of Craigslist about a month ago. She needed help with one of her sick goat kids so I offered my assistance. Tonight she emailed me and told me that the first goats she got had Orf and Listeriosis. So far as I know she still has the goats that had/has Orf. I didn't really look at her other goats when I was there, I only held the one that needed me to give it a shot. So now I'm sort of worried about what kind of germs I brought back to my goats. Not to mention I that I've been going to other people's farms wearing the same boots. So should I be worried? :hair:

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The way I understand it, you should be pretty safe if the one you handled wasnt showing clinical signs. :thumb:

But, I havent had a lot of personal experience with it, since we have a vaccine, and scabby mouth (orf) isnt a huge problem in either goats or sheep in our area.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sore mouth is the common name around here.

I believe you are safe like Keren said --- but keep a look out for any unusual scabing or sores around the mouth area.

In the future have differnt clothes you weart to people's farms and wash anything you use on another goat with acohol or bleach if it is reusable.

its wounderful that you help people - just be careful so you dont bring back anything to your own goats. :)

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just keep an eye on things, like everyone said.

Next time try to wear different shoes and clothes between barns. I usually spray down my shoes/boots with watered down bleach to prevent the spread of anything. :thumbup:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Thanks everyone! I let my guard down. I think this was just the reminder I needed :thumbup: It would've been nice to know before I went to her house :veryangry:

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    To be honest, orf isn't a big deal. If you're really worried about it you can pick up a live vaccine which you scratch the skin and apply on the inside of their leg. To cure, you either dose with a sheep/goat thriver or rub the area down with petrol (gross huh? but it works) or sometimes it goes away on its own. Also, once an animal has had it once, it's immune - a bit like chicken pox I guess.

In fact, I've even had it myself. If you catch it you only get it in the spot you caught it - like a cut or a graze. It swells to about 7 - 8 mm in width and is red, raised and puffy in the middle. Then after about 6 weeks it goes away again... sure it's sore and ugly but it's no big deal - and once again, once you've had it once, you will never get it again!

The only problem with it on animals is that it can make it difficult for them to eat with a large number of scabs. If you do have an animal that gets it and you rub it down with petrol, make sure you break the scabs off first or it won't work.

LW

PS it's extremely common in my area :greengrin: