Q's on Production

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by lupinfarm, Mar 27, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Keep in mind these gals are for home use, no real big plans to make real big batches of cheese or anything like that. Mostly its so we can supplement our dogs with tender digestion.

We're getting 2 doelings in the next few months, Dam is a boer and Sire is 1/2 Sanaan 1/2 Nubian, so the babies would be 1/2 Boer, 1/4 Sanaan, 1/4 Nubian.

When they're old enough, we'll probably be breeding them to a Nubian buck, so we get a more milky offspring.

Thoughts? Has anyone had experience with a cross like this where the sire is the milk breed?

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Maybe the Nubians there are better milkers than most of the ones I've seen here. Boer won't be the best for milking as they don't have long lactations. Sanaan should improve your lines the most.

I make cheese and give the dogs excess whey. They slurp it right up.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, with the Boer in the mix, long term production may be hampered. And, though goats milk is easier on the stomach for all species, if your dogs are not active...watch the amount given. Personal experience here, I had my 2 year old pointer mix go missing for 5 days, come to find that she was caught in someones trap during that time...she was skin and bones, after the vet visit I started to give her 2 cups of milk on her dry food daily for 3 weeks, she was not "running" during that time due to recovery and that 2 cups of milk in her diet helped her to put on 15 pounds FAST....So, unless you have couch potatoes for pooches, moniter how much they get.

When I make certain cheeses, the whey is used for ricotta or I dump it on the composting manure pile.

4. Fairytaleranch

Fairytaleranch New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Raw milk is excellent for dogs!! We give our show dogs raw milk, they look great and its an aweseome addition for them.

We actually got our goats mostly for our dogs to have raw milk (they are spoiled rotten lol).

You can also give slippery elm for tender digestion, it works wonders.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    While the Boer is going to have even richer butterfat than the Nubian, you wont get a real long lactation out of her plus they were bred for meat not udder or teats.
    All my Boer's teats are small. (read big pain to get a hold of) :wink:

6. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

lol guys I think you're a little mistaken..

The does will only be 1/2 boer and the other half is 1/4 nubian and 1/4 sanaan. Dad is the Sanaan X. We looked at her babies that were kiko/sanaan (mom is the sanaan here) and they were super milk goat looking, and she said that her babies have gone on to be small farm milk goats, her neighbour bought a doeling to milk for his dogs.

We have 4 poodles, and 2 miniature labradoodles and they're all pretty active.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Not mistaken at all. I did read your post all the way thru. There are Boer crosses all over the place around here and they aren't good milkers.

8. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

See I've heard a lot of different things about the cross. Lots of people seem to love them for small farm production, and some have said they out perform some of their Nubian milkers.

I guess every goat is different really.

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Wouldn't take much to out perform a lot of Nubians.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :ROFL: But we get top quality with Nubs IMO!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With the Boer in the "mix" there is still the chance that the offspring won't go the distance in the lactation period like a dairy goat would, but any goat can be "trained" into any lactation period....regardless of the purpose of a breed. Example: I dry off my does the month they are bred, October, they kid in late February to mid March...leaving them in a lactation period of 7 months, dairy goats, including nigies are bred to be in lactation for 10 months. I am still milking my nigi(dairy)pygmy(meat) cross doe after her last kidding in February 08, she hasn't been "freshened" since then and she is still in milk, producing an 1/8th of what she did in the beginning but enough for me to continue taking.
    IMO, any goat can be milked just like any goat can be eaten.... just depends on how bad you want it.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    A friend of mine has a LaMancha that has been milking steadily for over 3 yrs. She said the goat just won't dry off. Heavy producer too. Some of my goats are related to her and I'm hoping they have the extended lactation gene(s). My plan is to breed each doe on alternate yrs.