The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my! Was out in pasture this morning, noticed my only twin girls butt was wet....so I picked her up an initially thought the buck tried to get her. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was a ruptured cyst ! So I cleaned I out still feels hard and noticed she has another one on the other side of her butt. Her brother has the very large bottle jaw. Needless to say I have them in a crate up by the house until after a vet visit in the morning! They are 22 days old.

image-3505556485.jpg

Attachments

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Usually CL doesn't show up that young. Are you treating the bottle jaw? Are you sure it's bottle jaw and not a milk goiter? Hope your babies heal up for you. :hug:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, it's not bottle jaw....milk goiter I hope I have them separate from the others *made old trampoline frame with 4' wire into separate pen.....works great... Even with me cleaning the cyst this morning on the twin.....they look very big this afternoon. I am friends with my vet tech.....we will be at vet office @8: am !

Thank you all, I hope it's not CL.....I will let you all know what the verdict is when I found out.

·
2,377 Posts
Perhaps a shot lump. Those can really make a hard cyst lump sometimes. I think can also get so inflamed that they do pop. I hope it isnt CL.. seems awfully young for that to form in that way that large so young. Ask who did the shots or if they did give them in that area prior to coming to you.

·
Registered
30,629 Posts
If its on the bum more than likely a sticker cyst or something of that sort...way too young for a CL cyst....

Milke goiter will go away when weened, unless its a goiter from iodine deficiency...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have tried to read up....and I know it is not cheesy in texture nor does it have an odor. I cleaned it out then applied some iodine on it.....still seemed hard and there was a good size whole after I got through. She stil has one on the other side of her butt......and today seems like both have gotten bigger.....I have decided to leave them alone until the vet can culture it. I sure hope the milk goiter on the other twin is just that, and nothing else but it is huge size of a lemon! They just don't run, jump and play like the others do. I sure hope it's nothing ! Just minor stuff.....should I wean the buck with the goiter early? How soon y'all recommend ? I have seen them eating leaves, hay and such.

·
Registered
30,629 Posts
I wouldnt ween at 22 days old...he will be fine...2 1/2 is the youngest I ween and only when there is a good reason...3 months s better..
I am interested to hear what your vet says on the doe..two cyst on either side of her bum...that is strange...
you say they are not active and playful?? are they eating well?

·
2,377 Posts
Oh.. its on their Bottom .. I imagined it on the sides of their butt hip areas.. This looks like a poopoo rash issue that caused a bit of infection. Or.. it could be a mild case of Orf. I really doubt that to be CL.. I would not wean them in a hurry.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez, y'all please don't be mad at me I'm learning as I go. I brought both twins in the boy to have the milk goiter ck'd as well as the girls cysts on her butt. Needless to say our vet visit was not a good one....I had them put down. The Dam will be going to the Freezer. My vet didn't have the medium to test for CL......he will have it on hand after today. I can't take the risk. This damn was given to me because a family did not have a place to keep them other than their garage. I started out with Nigerians and took in these 2 pygmies. It breaks my heart to have done this, but it's life on the farm. I also feel as though I should get rid of the herd mate that came with this damn..... I really feel like it wasn't CL ....it wasn't cheesy, it was like a child's snotty nose.
My vet is very sweet, older man been around a long time in this country community. I fussed at him that he needy to get up to speed because I have a herd now...... geez I feel bad that I might have had them put down over nothing.....but they did have something???? Am trying to read everything I can get my hands on....y'all should have seen the look he gave me when I asked him about milk goiter, he said there was no such thing! Ba hum bug! Hope y'all's Monday has started better than mine! : (

·
2,377 Posts
Oh.. we are all beginners at one time. and we are all to help each other. We all have to do what is best for our individual situation and herd. Don't feel too bad. This is all a learning time. I have learned so much and look back at how we did things.. how we panicked when we shouldnt have or how we should have been doing something when we didn't. We have meat goats and spend a lot of time trying to keep these babies happy and healthy and stressing over them.. then.. a few end up in the freezer. Some people don't understand this but then... some people really do. A few of our babies end up with a funny little poopoo rash that I think can turn into staph. The yellow poopy the babies have.. if it gets stuck on the babies bottom.. it can be a problem if the mamma doe doesnt do anything about it. Also.. there are different forms of the 'orf' virus evidently and some is extremely mild enough to do nothing more than cause a few blisters on the bum area that has potential to get infected.

Starting over - purchase or obtain from a clean CL CAE herd but I think you know that. Again.. don't feel bad. You can start again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that could explain her butt problem. Dam rejected them in the beginning, didn't clean them. What about his lemon size cyst?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
you didnt post a picture of his but I would still say milk goiter. And again its nothing serious or contagious, just means plenty of rich milk in his diet and it goes away after they are off milk and on solids (aka after weaning). Im sorry you felt the need to put them down over this. But to each their own I guess.

The CL test cant be done in a vets office -- they take a sample and send it off to a lab. Cornel, UC Davis or WADDL will do the CL test.

just because a vet hasnt heard of something before doesnt mean it does not exist.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He didnt have the medium to put the sample in to send off! Oh my, trust me I am second guess myself.....was thinking of the entire herd......the more I think and I have looked back.....the buck had his cysts since he was 1 week an 2 days old......I did find them under an old trailer asleep one afternoon......I wonder now if a scorpion stung him and he got an abscess? Has anybody ever lanced a milk goiter what was the fluid like? This buck look like he a wad of tobacco in his jaw all the way down to his neck, he had a temp. I probably did panic and jump the gun......I feel bad now!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts