The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....brand new goat owner here but I'm not sure this is a 'newbie' question...I've obtained two does (1.5 yrs each/not related to each other), one with a two week old kid...there were 4together including the buck...which I did not take.
since relocation to our quiet chicken only barn, the second doe (not mom) is acting very aggressively.
She is 'herding' the mother and excluding the kid...will not allow mom and kid together. She has commandeered a small pen for her and mom, and she pushes mom in and baby out. He must not dare cross the threshhold or face her wrath! to top it off, mom now won't let baby nurse at all, and she seems indifferent to the bullying??
I've been holding her on my knee so he can suckle. He has a good latch, she has plenty of milk, no outward sign of mastitis, etc, healthy teats and udder. he's not into solids much so I just know he's still primarily being milk fed. Not sure what to do. I tried separating the cranky doe and she was not happy being 'on the other side of the chicken wire' and started trashing my barn...so now what? Am I stuck holding this doe for every feed?
I will for the babys sake but I hate to force her if there is a valid reason for what isvhoing on here...and if i only knew why...also don't want to start our relationship off on the wrong foot with her either bc she is sweet, we are keeping her as a forever pet. Cranky pants on the other hand may do better elsewhere. Threes a crowd? Anyone have any idea if the bossy goat/reluctance to nurse are one and the same problem? Can I do any real harm holding her by force to feed? Baby isn't suffering/crying/showing signs of hunger. ( mind you by my intervention he has had 4solid feeds today).
Mom and kid are communicating so she knows he is hers. Just tragic to see a mom ignore her baby. Not to mention cranky pants doe schooling him with her horns and biting his little rump.
Help pls!!

·
Super Moderator
59,791 Posts
You definitely need to keep them separated. That little guy needs to stay on mom for at least 8 weeks so you have a long way to go. I think mom is just very stressed with other female. You may want to consider rehoming the bully. You will have to keep intervening as long as she won't let him nurse.

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for validating my suspicions there. But what if after separation the nursing problem persists? He's a healthy two week old....I see tons of info on does that kid and never take to nursing day one...but what about when it's all good at he beginning but drops off this late in the game? And if I have to 'force-feed' him, how often am I doing that at this stage?
I just worry she won't get 'it' back? The hang of nursing that is.

·
Super Moderator
59,791 Posts
I would just keep trying to work on them getting back together. If not, then he will have to be bottle fed.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Did you plan to milk her after weaning? If so, you could just go ahead and pull him and bottle feed him. It's not that hard with one kid. I would get him on a bottle and try to sell him as a pet.

What is your plan with the "bad girl"? She should be pregnant if she was in with the buck. Sometimes, I've noticed, that if one doe kids first...the other doe is jealous...and makes a big stink about the "newcomer". Sometimes, they want to steal it, sometimes they want to "get rid of" it. Most of the time, things get better when the other doe kids too.

Good luck! And welcome to TGS

·
Registered
600 Posts
Eek! Poor baby! I agree that you need to separate ASAP, if mom still won't let him nurse you'll have to force her like you would if she didn't do it from the start. Otherwise, if that doesn't work, you'll have to milk mom(to prevent mastitis and maybe use the milk for the kid) and bottlefeed. Di could be right as well, I would see if the other doe is pregnant. Otherwise, it is probably a behavioral issue, and a goat could get seriously hurt because of it. I would consider rehoming if this is the case as Karen said. Good luck!

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I agree with Karen and Di...once you seperate mom woth baby..a bonding pen is in order...some where mom cant hide from Jr...keep an eye on things tobe sure she does not become aggressive toward him and that heis eating..you still may need to hold her for a time...but I bet thebond will be reestblished.. I too had a pregnant mom who would bash the lights out of new mom...she didnt try to steal or seperate mom from babies but the stress was over whelming...I gave new mom her own space until the other kidded and all was well and cam again...hormones make them do crazy things...best wishes

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much guys!!! I really appreciate all your advice. I will do manual feelings for the time being, as she's a teeny tiny Pygmy so hand milking for any reason is largely impractical. I did milk her a bit to ensure no plug/lots of milk, etc...she was not a fan! LOL. Is there any reason to not hold her vs milking/bottle feeding? Milking would require forcible holding and since the baby knows what to do it seems the path of least resistance. Not only that but I assume baby feeding stimulates oxytocin/prolactin etc as humans do, which should foster bonding (maybe?)
There is a definite possibility cranky doe might be pregnant I suppose. The previous owner said all was well, and cranky doe might just be taking over for the buck so to speak. I'm told daddy buck wasn't a huge fan of the little one either. Maybe the doe is just emulating behavior.
Thanks so much for the moral support!!! Here I was thinking as a newbie "what could be easier for my first herd than two does and a kid??"
The good news is that the kid is as bonded to me as any kid could be. Guess all that rejection will pay off in a beautiful wether for our family. He is absolutely unabashedly loving :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts