Quest horse paste?***update***

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 30, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Has anyone used the Quest horse paste sucessfully with no problems......I am finding that Ivomec is not working for me on adult barber poles......argghhhh :( .

2. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Re: Quest horse paste?

1cc per 100lbs and do not over dose it. :wink:

Push it out of the tube into a syringe to dose it.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I overdosed last year with horse dewormer(not the same kind) on 2 kids and lost them both. :( I don't recommend using horse paste at all.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Sorry Denise, I've never used that wormer. The only horse paste I use is the Ivercare and have had good results with it.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would NEVER use that dewormer on any of my animals. It's way to easy to overdose and kill with that dewormer.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007

When using a horse paste like Quest you have to dose correctly. The wormer is not to blame. I have wormed all of my goats with Quest. Pygmys, Nubians, and young kids. Never lost one. Never had one get sick.
    Quest is 4x stronger then cydectin. So use it at 1cc per 100lbs but don't over dose.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

As I said, it is easy to overdose and I personally wouldn't recommend it. I know of someone who used it and had several of her goats die. I have also heard of several deaths with miniature horses.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I agree. And I think cdtrum has pygmies so 1 cc per 100 lbs would be VERY easy to overdose a little pygmy.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Well I did it!........I was very careful with the dosage, so we will see in the morning if I have 2 alive goats or not.....I felt like I didn't have much choice as they both had very pale membranes and to get a hold of Cydectin would take to long, I would have to order it and I would have 2 dead goats by the time it got here......I tried worming with Ivomec with no good results......the really rainy, hot humid weather we just had has caused a bad rise in barber-pole I guess. I hope I did the right thing (Lord knows I would never hurt them intentionally)....I have wrestled with this all weekend as their eyelids were getting paler. I have fecaled so many times in the past 4 days and numbers were increasing with every one.
    Thanks for your advice anyhow........Denise

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007

I have been worming my pygmys and my nubians and the kids of BOTH breeds with Quest.

Anywho, I'll keep my thoughts on quest to myself. Any members that want more info on it they can always PM me. :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

amy I am sure people appreciate that you have used it before -- please keep things friendly and non combative. Thank you

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Well, I hope this finally takes care of it...I cannot believe the trouble you've had with worms! I usually only need to de-worm 2-3 times a year...so I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. :worried:

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Thanks FunnyRiverFarm.......you might be also thinking about back in early spring when I was having cocci issues with my new little guys....Although, the past 2 wks I have been having the issues with the worms in my older guys....I am really praying that this works!

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I wish I could see the eggs --- I tend to get all blinky eyed LOL its so hard to just look out of one eye for so long hehe

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Good luck....Denise :hug:

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Stacey....I know what you mean.....I have played and played with doing the fecals and I feel pretty good at it now....It was jsut getting so expensive to pay my vet $22.00 for every fecal.......

One other thing, I have had the guys for exactly 1yr and they have never been a 4/5 on the Famacha chart.....my vet only ever had me worm them with Panacur which we all know does not work....so, when I started doing their fecals several months ago I wormed them with Ivomec and then they would have a clear fecal.....well, after talking with a very knowledgable goat person.....I really think that I was never getting the adult worms, just the eggs.....explaining my clean fecals, thus far explaining the anemia.....she swears that Ivermectin does not get the adults any longer because of resistance (may or may not be true :shrug: ). On top of all that we have had incredible rainy, warm humid weather here the past few weeks allowing the worms to go crazy!
    I am not an expert, but this all makes sense to me........I just really, really pray that I did no harm to my boys!

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Well knowing you -- I am sure you got the dosage right. I personally wouldnt because I dont get good accurate weights on my goats. Iknow you are meticulous so I dont doubt your ability to use it properly

18. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007

I wasn't aware I was being unfriendly. Sorry. I'll be sure not to post advice again. :thumb:

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Amy I sent you a PM

And for all the members to know

Its good to have two sides when there are two sides to be presented. But one side should NEVER push their view point over another unless it is a life or death - in which case this can be so its good to have all the precautions laid out just in case. I wouldnt want someone think this was a casual drug to use and inadvertently harm or kill their pet. That would be tragic. But its good to have the dosage available should someone choose to use it carefully.

20. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

For what it's worth, I have to tell you that I was a nervous wreck making the choice to use this wormer.....I had bought a tube before at TSC and took it back.......but after the fecals I was having this week and vet not being available I felt like I needed to do something instead of watching my guys get worse.........I plan on ordering Cydectin and using it when needed, I probably would not have chosen to use the Quest had I had the option of getting a hold of Cydectin.
    Believe me I did not give my boys this wormer without much thought.....I even called my husband (out of town) and we talked about it before giving the Quest and we both were in agreement to go for it and pray for good results.
    I really don't think Amy was trying to push this wormer on anyone, just trying to help with what she knows works for her.....you just have to be careful when giving advice.
    Good night all......we shall see if I have alive goats in the morning, Denise