Question About a Baby Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Jul 15, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have a sweet baby doe (one of triplets) who is not thriving as well as her brothers, she has a little bit of scours but eats, drinks, plays, acts totally normal. We started her on Di-Methoxx for five days and are pulling her for bottle-feeding today (we'll be using Nigerian goat's milk). Is there anything else I should be doing? Oh, I de-wormed her yesterday using Valbazen. She's is nearly five weeks old. Any comments/suggestions?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well #1 I've been told its really not a good idea to use Valbazen on younger kids.

Is she up to par on her minerals? Has she had a Bo-Se shot? What are you feeding grain wise if she is eating any? If she is the smallest of trips, her brothers may be taking all hte milk and she may not be getting as much as she needs, so bottle feeding her is a good choice.

After the cocci treatments are finished, be sure to start her on B complex shots for a day or two.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I use Valbazen de-wormer because it is so broad-spectrum. The breeder that I bought a lot of our Nigerians from (she's been raising goats for almost ten years, involved w/ them her whole life) she uses Valbazen so I figured it was okay. What did you hear about it that was bad? What would you use instead?

She has access to minerals. I have not given her a Bo-Se shot but Selenium is in the minerals. She eats a 14% protein grain and free-choice hay, nice pasture too.

I will use the vit. B and she is going to be bottle-fed starting today. Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know how she is doing.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Not that it was bad(I use Valbazen on my does and bucks when they need to be chemically wormed) but somebody had told me not to give it to young kids. Sorry but I don't remember why :shrug:

Be sure to wait until after you are done with cocci treatment to start the B shots, B complex has thiamin, and cocci thrive on thiamin, so B shots will sort of counteract your treatment. Sulfa drugs deplete the rumen of thiamin just long enough to kill the cocci, so after treatment it is a good idea to start the B shots. :)

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks! I had no idea about the vit. B and cocci preventive treatments. We rarely use vit. B because we hardly have sick goats, but that is very good to know for future reference.

Oh, she is doing much better and the scours are gone. We continuing the cocci prevention for another 2 days. But I think what really worked is the acidopholus powder we gave her last night, it's good for any tummy upsets. Thanks for the help!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad she's doing better for you! I use safeguard and ivermectin....I worm kids at 6 weeks and this past year used ivermectin paste and the kids did fine, I had no "off" kids after worming them, I also worm the girls just after they deliver with ivermectin, the kids get it in the milk and had no problems there either.

I used B complex "people vitamins" after a doeling had a round of cocci meds..I just crushed a pill and dissolved it in a little bit of water...it's very orange and very sour so I had to sweeten it before she would take it, after 3 days of B she was on her way to recovery.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, the runny poo is back, ugh! This is her last day of treatment w/ Di-Methoxx. I've been giving it to her every day, 1/2cc orally. I bought some all-naturaly yogurt today, heard that helps some. Is there anything else I'm missing here? None of my other goats have it, one of her brothers had it a little but not bad and no one else did. My mom read in the homeopathic book that runny poo (or was that scours?) is a sign she did not get enough colostrum. I've read a lot in here about Pepto, can u give that to babies? What's the dosage? Any other ideas? She's eating great, picked up on the bottle easily even though she's four weeks, think she was just hungry cause her brothers are little pigs. Oh, she's eating some alfalfa hay as it's just in the doe pen, she eats grain (a dairy blend, Fink mix so it has all the minerals needed for goats). Not dehydrated, my aunt (a vet tech) double-checked that for me. Do I just do what I can and wait it out a little?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as she's eating and drinking, wait it out for a couple days after her last treatment...the meds may be giving her the runs, 2 days after her last treatment, the b complex would be a good idea to replenish the lost thiamen. And no grain, all the hay she wants though, the roughage in her system is better for her. If she still continues with the runs after 3 days I would definately have another fecal done and you may need to re-treat her.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can give pepto. but i would wait a day before using that so that you dont mask the issue of the runs but know that it is clearing up on its own or not.

Now if she was looking dehydrated I would have said use the pepto. I give 3ccs to little kids.

I would check her cocci count if the runs (scours, diarrhea) continues past 2 more days.

Had this happen to a kid this year and he died of what i am not sure as he had been treated for coccidia like the rest :shrug:

oh yes and the yogurt with live cultures in it is great. Add it to her bottle or give it to her in a syringe. A couple tablespoons would be enough for her I suppose. I am not good with amounts on some things as i just do what feels right most of the time unless there is a specific requirement like with meds and wormer.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My aunt ran a fecal for me and it came back w/ moderate amounts of cocci, nothing bad but not just a little, that was after 3 days of Di-Methoxx, she finished yesterday's dose and still has a little of the runs, but it comes and goes, really weird. Never had this happen before. . . . Still eating good, active, and alert.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    possibly the cocci are resistant to the Di-Methoxx and I would seriously consider something like Albon or Corid.

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'd suggest using Albon, if I remember correctly I'm thinking the Di-methox is more of a prevention for cocci than a treatment, but I could be wrong on that.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it has been a couple days --- how is she?

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    This is odd. I've never once heard that Ivermectin was bad for kids. Strange as I use it on all my kids. Its also safe for pregnant does. However, Valbazen is not safe for pregnant does so I do not use it for kids. I do use it if I suspect a tape worm infestation. Otherwise I prefer to use Safeguard or Ivermectin. Yes there is a wide resistance to Ivermectin, but its still the best dewormer out there. No dewormer is perfect for all times though so its best to discuss things with your vet for a wormer schedule.

If this kid is still scouring have you tried Scour-Halt? If not it maybe wise to. I use it when Sulmet/Albon doesn't work.

I would suggest Albon if she could possibly have a resistance to Di-Methox but don't use Corid, its normally recommended not to use on goats since it usually has poor results.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She is doing a lot better. The diarheea went away the day after I posted that she had it again. I haven't given her anymore Di-Methoxx because it went away.

I did have to give her goat's milk from a different doe today, so her tummy got a little upset about that this morning but it looks gone now and I am sticking w/ the same milk for her. I'm just making a mixture that Anna suggested using whole cow's milk, some half & half, and a small pump of Nutri-Drench. I don't have enough real goat's milk now & Anna said that's about the closest you can get to Nigerian milk, so that's what she'll be drinking now.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I'm glad she's better!

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's great to hear!! Glad she's doing better... :cool:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wonderful news!! Hope she continues to thrive :hug: