Question About a Nigerian Buck

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by capriola-nd, Feb 26, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so there is a buck for sale in our area that comes from some really different bloodlines, not common in this area at all.

His sire is MCH Ponders End Minstrel Show E and dam is BRB A Damsel's Keepsake (http://mightyheartfarm.com/Keepsake.htm).

He is black/white and a yearling. $250 (very good price!) Basically, my question is what do you think of these bloodlines and his potential. I am not thrilled at all w/ his dam's udder, it's decent but I don't care for it a lot. The pictures are terrible though - I think they were taken when she was just a few days fresh. Do you think he has some potential though w/ his sire's side??

Here's the link to his ad on CraigsList. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/1047670540.html

The gal doesn't live very far from me at all, maybe I should just go and pay a visit. :)

Please let me know your thoughts. :D

2. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I think you should get him only if you share!! :greengrin:
    He is very cute!!!!

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, of course I would share!! :greengrin:

Do u wanna come and look at him with me? We could meet in Scappoose.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its always so hard to take good pictures of goats so taking a look for yourself would be optimum

I would like to see more medial -- but of course every goat has something you can work on

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's really hard to tell what her udder looks like since it isn't shaved that well. Her medial is all fuzzy. I would like to see more attachment in the rear and more capacity, especially for a second freshener. Teats should point down more. It's hard to see her rear height without a side view. It does look like she has a nice fore udder though.

If it was me I don't think I would buy a buck out of her.

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Tell me when!! When!! OOhh goodie goodie a goat trip!!! :leap: :leap: :leap:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would so do it. that buck is amazing and the does sire and dam i have seen and both are awesome.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's what I thought. . . but I am also wondering if the sire could have helped fix any of that? I have not found very many daughters from Minstrel Show. More sons than daughters. . .

I will definitely be going to have a look at him myself. :)

Last year, I almost bought this buck but ended up not getting him. . . Victoria gave us Lance, so I turned him down.

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    so when do we getta go on a goat trip??!!

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    What a cutie pie! :love: I'd definately consider getting him, and it never hurts to take a look!! I'm not to impressed with his dams udder though. But I think you mentioned Olivia, that the sire may have corrected some of that. But yeah, he sure is cute!

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The sire is nice, but when I look for a buck I look very closely at the dams udder and that is what I decide my bucks from. I've also been told they throw most of their udder genetics from their dam.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that udder doesn't even look full though. but i would go and look.. i saw a minstrel daughter somewhere.. i'll look

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, I heard back from her and she said his dam has nice overall attachments and medial but her teats poke out to the sides a little. I noticed that right off. She didn't get bred this fall so will not be kidding again until next year. His dam was a show goat until her scur got really big. The gal plans on having it removed so she can be shown again.

She said he is growing well - slow maturing.

So, I'll probably be going to see him next week.

She said she can't do it Sunday or Monday. . . so, we'll have to figure out when a good time is. :) I'll call you or email you.

14. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I can vouch for the sire's quality. He's been putting out topnotch kids for a long time and has been Flat Rock's (one of the top ND farms) major herdsire. His brother Pimlico is also an influential buck.
    I haven't looked into the dam, so can't comment except to say in general BRB produces nice goats.
    I do agree, look carefully at the doe's udder and those on her family tree.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I like the sire, dont care much for the dam or her udder. She isnt set and she is standing down hill but the first things i notice is she toes out and she is steep in the rump. Her udder doesnt look full in the picture, but she has a really narrow rear attachment. there isnt much there. Her fore looks nice. Her medial needs a lot of improvement. It doesnt hurt to look but judging from the pictures i think you could get a better buck for the same price.
    beth

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I went and saw him today. He is pretty nice, quite small, very refined and dairy. He has nice feet and legs and nice shoulders. It was hard to really judge him because he was eating the grass and looked scrunched up because of the cold. When she had him walk around, he looked nicer and topline was level. His dam is fairly nice. She actually doesn't toe out but I think she could have a little more width in the hocks and definitely, a more level rump. He doesn't look to have inherited her steep rump. His sister is very cute and looks real nice.

He looked kind of wormy to me, so if we do get him, I'd deworm him (I always do that though) before he came home and also de-louse him. He was with a bunch of other bucks. . . She said that if she didn't have his half-brother, that she'd keep him for her herd.

She sent me a WAY better pic of his dam's udder. The pic on her website was with only 8-9 hours of milk and a few days after freshening. The other pic she sent me was with 11 hours milk, 3 months after freshening. She steadily gave a quart a day while milking, and she is a smaller doe, not big by an means. I still think the medial needs improvement but she isn't clipped, unforunately.

All in all, I wasn't thrilled w/ him (mostly because of his small stature and the fact he looked wormy) but I am still really considering purchasing him.

*Edited to add pic of dam's udder.

[​IMG]
    photo courtesy of Mighty Heart Farm

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could still use a wider rear attachement --- yah the medial is hard to tell with all that hair. if you feel he is worth it to you...try him out on a strong doe or two and then go from there. :thumb:

19. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    "All in all I really wasn't thrilled with him."
    That statement says it all to me. I would only buy a herdsire I was fully satisfied with. Due to their obvious influence you should only get the best sire you can afford. There are SO many nice ones available, don't settle for second best IMO.

20. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I agree with the others- I would pass.
    You need to think - I NEED that buck, not, well he might work with some of my does....

Bucks are hard, its a long time until you can determine if he has made improvements on your does.

She does not have a good area of attachment at all, and hair or not, Im going to say she has a weak medial, I see no division in her udder at all.
    The positives look to be well placed plumb teats, but I would also have to see a side udder shot to asses foreudder strength.