Question about ADGA designation

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is better - an ADGA PB Reg doe or an ADGA American Doe??

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Typically Purebreds are worth more...nothing wrong with an American though, just somewhere back in their lines there was info missing, or something.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A purebred goat designates and animal that is descended directly from original imports when it comes to Alpines, Saanens, Oberhasli, Toggenburgs, Nubians and Nigerians. All purebred animals are descended strait from their relatives across the pond with no crossing whatsoever being done throughout the years.

This is the rule with the exception of LaManchas and Sables. LaManchas, due to the fact that is a rather new breed and a breed that has been developed in the US, has an open herdbook, thereby allowing animals of American status to be bred up to purebred status after 3 generations of breeding American to purebred(four generations for bucks) They can also be bred up to purebred by using animals who are of different American generations. Example: a 1st generation American LM doe bred to a 3rd generation American LM buck would result in a 2nd generation kid. 1st on 1st makes a 2nd also, etc etc. With Sables, the herdbook is open but it takes 5 generations to attain purebred status. Sables are very confusing and determining how many generations of American they are has to do with color, I don't totally understand it.

American means that somewhere back in the line, a purebred animal was crossed with another purebred or American animal of a different breed, then bred back to the original breed until the offspring had reached American status. This practice is most commonly seen with Oberhasli, as purebred Oberhasli tend to be medium sized goats with average production and many of the other purebred Oberhasli did not have the greatest udder shapes or attachments. Many of them were crossbred with Alpines(because some Alpines have such similar colors to the Oberhasli, they did not want to lose the Oberhasli color) to improve size, production and udder types. Toggs and Saanens have also been "Americanized"; Toggs were bred up to be bigger(they are actually a medium breed) and I'm not exactly sure why Saanens were bred up. The biggest thing about American goats is the hybrid vigor that has been carried down. Personally, I prefer American Oberhasli, but I think the rest of the Swiss breeds should be kept purebred.

As for price, I know a lot of people who charge more just because an animal is purebred, but to me it makes no difference. American animals can be just as nice as purebred, and just because its purebred doesn't mean its a nice animals.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you for the clarification - I just wanted to make sure I had it right in my head.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Almost forgot, like Bethany mentioned, American can also mean that somewhere back in the line there may be unknown or unregistered animals, like a NOA doe whose offspring were bred up to American.

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Very true Sarah.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

In a lot of cases the americans are nicer because they have been worked with. Also purebreds and americans are shown together and a judge will not know what is what.
    I try to keep my bucks purebred As then i can cator to both, most of my does are american. I have one purebred doe.
    beth