question about banding a nigerian

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Hiya!

I met a lady who has a nigerian goat, and she was complaining of it starting to smell. I asked her if he was fixed, and she said no. I was thinking of volunteering to band him for her, but not sure how to ask her, and how to do it on a full grown nigi. Any tips?

Dayna

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    You can use a calf bander/elastrator. I would just ask her if she's ever considered wethering him because of the smell.

Make sure he's utd on his CD/T before you band him.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A calf bander will work, a regular bander if he's less than a year might work too....and a good strong person to hold him.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    How old is the buck? I don't recommend banding a buck if they are over 8 to 12 months...depending on the size. If he's full grown then it's probably not a good idea to band him, when they are that big it's best to have the vet do it.

Another thing, if you voluntarily band him and something should happen to where he gets an infection or becomes ill (might not even be related to the banding) but the owner might blame you and expect you to pay and vet bills, etc. It might be best to just let her know that uncastrated male goats smell to attract females and the only way to prevent that is to have him neautered.

5. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    I wouldn't band a mature buck. Hard enough on a baby. We have castrated mature bucks using a burdizzo which is not as painful as banding. If you don't have a burdizzo I would suggest she take him to a vet to be castrated.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree, if he is starting to stink then he is somewhat mature. Banding him is probably out of the question. I would have a vet do it. ANd like KW said, if something goes wrong then the lady could decide to turn around and be real nasty towards you.
    beth

7. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    yea, Im with not doing that, does she have just this one goat? I would hope he has a buddy. they get very lonely and just dont do well on their own. but, some folks around here think that its just a sales pitch to sell them another goat :shrug:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, thanks for the advice. I won't offer to do anything. I was just a little whatever, because after I told her it was smelly because he wasn't castrated. She then said, well maybe I will just get rid of him, so I felt bad for the little guy. What is a buzzido?

9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    ITA, I would not band a mature goat. A burdizzo is an instrument that crushes the testicles. Kind of tricky to use effectively, so if you choose that option, get someone who knows what they're doing.

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Is that like an emasculator?

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks Crissa. Yes, that is an emasculator. There is one at my work at the shop. I think I will have to buy it. I'm more afraid to use that than the bander, but it might be good to have both on hand.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Banding a full grown mini buck can be done, cattle farmers band 500lb bull calves which I am positive are lots bigger in that "area" :wink:

Mind you though that with ANY type of castration, there is discomfort and I would not reccommend doing a banding on any goat but my own at that age. I have successfully banded 2 nigi bucks of my moms...both rescues and both were adults at a year and the other at 2 years old,., no problems came about with diligent checking of the area and the sacs shriveled and fell off within 5 weeks.