question about banding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goats-n-more, Apr 24, 2008.

1. goats-n-more

goats-n-more New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    My three little boys were banded a month ago. Their sacs have shriveled up but are still hanging on. I know they can sometimes take a while to fall off, so I haven't been concerned about that. But yesterday I noticed that they all have splits in their skin ABOVE the bands--you know, on their bellies (I presume from their hard little sacs being pulled around when they play or whatever).

They don't look infected, thankfully, but they are definitely open wounds. I sprayed them with iodine and called the vet, and they told me not to worry about it as this happens before the sacs fall off.

OK, well, I'm a newbie to all of this, but I guess I thought the separating and falling off would happen BELOW the band, not above it. Am I wrong? And is this skin splitting really not something to be concerned about?

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    The separating happens above the band, as what is in the band and below no longer has a blood flow that is why it shrivels up and eventually falls off. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't become infected.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, it's all normal! No worries, just keep them clean and watch for flies, they'll heal up and drop off in no time!

4. goats-n-more

goats-n-more New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    OK, great! Thanks for the reassurances. I will definitely keep an eye on them.

Mary