Question about beet pulp

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Suellen, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    HI I'm a bit confused about how to give a goat beet pulp. What we can buy here are beet pulp pellets. I understand that they expand so a goat could chow down more than they can handle when it expands. I have read different things about soaking.

This is what the Merck Vet Manual
    said, "Beet pulp, a byproduct of the sugar beet industry, is added to horse rations as both a source of calories and fiber. It contains moderate amounts of calcium and protein and can be safely fed on a daily basis in larger amounts than the bran products. Shredded beet pulp should be soaked in water before feeding to horses. Beet pulp pellets do not require presoaking." ... 182604.htm

What is the difference between the shreaded and the pellets?
    Why soak for horse but not for goats?
    If you did soak the pellets wouldn't you be left with mush?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I soak mine - but I know of others that don't for goats. I look at it as my goats are pigs and will hog down as much as possible - and I see how much it can swell. I put it in hot hot water for about 30 minutes then I mix some grain with it and they eat it all up.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I feed both shredded and pellets, dry, without any issues. I find the goats like the shredded better.
  4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I feed the shredded kind. I can get either but I feed shredded dry. I started out soaking it for the horses but its not worth the hassle so everyone who gets it, gets it dry. Haven't had any problems feeding it dry to anyone. (Goats, horses, & cow)
  5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm fairly certain this has been said a million times, but apparently I've gone goat stupid lately and can't seem to process anything . . .

What is beet pulp used for? My mind is telling me to add weight and to keep weight on lactating does but . . .

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i have always fed shreded beet pulp. when i was in maine is when i started & since i feed it dry & as a top dress to my does i have not had a case of ketosis. i give them a cup in there grain starting the thrid month of pregnancy. mine don't like the pelletts.