Question About Blue-Eyes??? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 20, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I have a question. Ok, if the Dam has Blue-Eyes and she delivers twin kids (one w/ blue-eyes and one w/o blue eyes) will the kid w/o blue-eyes carry the blue-eye trait and possibly pass it on to her offspring or does she have to have blue-eyes herself to carry the blue-eye gene? Also, if you were to breed that Doeling with a blue-eyed Buckling, would her side of the gene pool help to increase the chances of the offspring being blue-eyed or does she not help at all since she herself doesn't have blue-eyes?

Ok, I am sure I confused everyone because I think I confused myself, but I really don't know another way to say it. Help!!!

The reason I ask is because I have been considering purchasing a little Doeling and the situation I described is the situation with her. I know it is probably silly not to purchase because she doesn't have blue-eyes, but I had said that when I purchase a registerable Doe/Doeling that she will have blue-eyes. The reason I am considering this little girl is because I absolutely love her coloring! She just doesn't have the blue-eyes, her mom and twin sister does but not her.. so I just had a few questions. I won't be purchasing anything until a couple of her other Does kid, so I have a little while to think about it.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A goat must HAVE blue eyes to pass on the blue eye trait. No it doesn't matter that her mom has blue eyes or not, if she doesn't it is still a 50/50 chance of blue eyes if bred to a blue eyed buck.

If bred to brown eyed buck she will only have brown eyed kids and never blue eyed ones.

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That is what I was affraid of....now I just have to decide if I want to purchase her or wait and see if she has a blue-eyed doeling born :(

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes a brown eyed doe who has atleast one blue eyed parent bred to a blue eyed buck does increase the chances of the kids being blue eyed. However if you breed the same doe to a brown eyed buck there will be no blue eyed kids even if they both have blue eyes in their gene pool.

Maybe this will make scense

BL/BR bred to BL/BL would be a brown eyed doe carrying the blue eyed gene bred to a blue eyed buck you would get more blue eyed kids than say

BR/BR bred to BL/BL which would be a brown eyed doe with only brown eyed genes bred to a blue eyed buck.

I hope I am not confusing you more. LOL

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    really teresa? I was reading up on genetics of nigerian dwarfs and it never said anything about that concerning blue eyes.

Hmm something to research on my part now

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Also if you look at a brown eyed doe and her eyes are more gold than brown that is usually a doe who has blue eyes in her gene pool and a goat can have brown eyes and just a speck of blue in her eyes and that too will pass on the blue eyes. It really is a crap shoot with the blue eyes even with both parents having blue eyes you can get brown eyed kids. I read where a lady had a gold eyed doe bred to a brown eyed buck and they had 2 blue eyed kids.

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
  8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Looks like everyone has pretty well covered it. If one parent is blue-eyed and the kid is born with blue-eyes then it has one dominant blue-eyed gene and one recessive brown-eyed gene.

Brown-eyed goats cannot carry blue-eyes since they received two recessive brown-eyed genes. Some think it can increase the potential for blue-eyed kids when crossed with a blue-eyed goat but its hard to say if that's true.

I crossed my blue-eyed/polled doe to Zeus who had 3 sisters who were blue-eyed and 2 polled. He himself is brown-eyed and disbudded. Both of the twins born out of my blue-eyed/polled doe were in fact blue-eyed and polled so its something that I'd like to see studied. Very interesting.

9. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hi Brandi,
    Every year about this time somebody is starting a new herd and the same questions come up on various forums and goat lists concerning blue eyed vs. brown eyed genes. While I've never really been interested in breeding for color or blue eyes, I can tell you without a doubt that the general consensus among more experienced breeders is that you won't get blue eyed kids from two brown eyed parents. I have owned blue eyed goats and brown eyed kids out of a blue eyed parent and that holds true in my own experience. Even brown eyed does out of a blue eyed parent bred to my blue eyed herd sire only produced blue eyes about half the time - the same ratio as my brown eyed does out of brown eyed parents produced with him. The statistics may look better on paper but that's not always how it works out. Clear as mud? LOL. Sorry about that!

If those blue eyes really interest you, my advice to you would be to purchase a blue eyed doe (or preferably a blue eyed buck to get more BL/E kids in your herd) instead of holding out any hope of getting blue eyed kids from two non-blue eyed parents. A blue eyed goat would definitely give you a better return on your investment than buying a brown eyed one and hoping for the best. I'm not a geneticist and I don't play one on tv :shades: - I'm only going on my own experience and the experiences of trusted long-time breeders that I know personally. If you really like the color on this doe, you could always get her and start looking for a blue eyed buck to breed her to. No telling how pretty your next batch of kids may be then!

Good Luck,
    Kristen

10. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I have had several several blue eyed babies come from brown eyed parents with blue eyes in the background. It is funny cause sometimes we have babies born with blue eyes and I sit there and go, now where did those eyes come from?? And then I do a little looking and see that one or both parents have [arents with blue eyes. That is just what I have discovered!!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe a case of just a speck of blue like teresa said? But of course anything really is possible. Nomatter what genetics tries to tell us. In the human world I remember reading about a black couple having 3 children that were white skinned and blonde hair and blue eyed!

12. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone!! Yes, I am planning on purchasing a Blue-Eyed Buck/Buckling from her as well. She had said if I purchased a Buckling and a Doeling that she would give me a discount so I had thought I might go ahead and get a Doeling as well.

Also, while we are on the subject I have one more question. I have never done this myself, and have always said I never would (which is why I probably won't be purchasing this little girl, I was just mainly weighing the possibilities). I don't believe in linebreeding, but of course that is strictly my opinion. But in order to purchase a Doeling from this lady with my Buckling, she will be a half sister to the buckling (same daddy). If I do wind up purchasing a Doeling from her would it be in my best interest to breed her with a different Buck that I have, or would breeding her with the Buckling be ok?? Like I said, I probably wouldn't breed her to the Buckling (because I just don't think I could bring myself to do it), but I would like to know everyone else's opinion on it. We will probably just be purchasing the Buckling for now, and wait and purchase a Doeling later on from someone else.

13. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    I was disappointed when two blue eyed parents didn't produce blue eyed kids. So you just never know how genetics are going to play out.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there are two types of blue eyes one that will produce 100% blue eyed kids and another that will produce 50% blue eyed kids.

Ashely knows the terms and I forgot where I saved the information (maybe I never did save it! :doh: )

15. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I saved alot of very useful info that was posted on GW... but of course now it is lost which is why I had to ask again.

BTW has anyone heard anything else about GW? Will it ever be restored?

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Although I myself am not a big fan of the blue eyes(probably one of the few out there) I wouldn't go by just the blue eyes. If the doe/buck is nice than why not keep it anyways? Even if it has no blue eyes does not mean it can't be helpful in improving your herd. As for linebreeding you can either get a really nice looking kid or a kid that is not nice looking. If one parent has a fault it can make it even worse in the kid. However, I have seen some really nice looking line bred animals out there. It is really up to you if you are ready to take that risk. Sometimes it'll turn out great-othertimes it will not.

17. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yeah, I think I will pass on the linebreeding... I just don't think I can do it.

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I just wanted to reply to this thread. I bought a buckling just recently that has no blue eyes in his blood and he is blue eyed. Also I know someone that is in the same situation...her buck has blue eyes and is polled and there is no blue eyes in the bloodline. Anything is possible.

19. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks Alyssa. I have been seriously considering getting the little girl, but the linebreeding thing is what is really holding me back.

20. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have a buck that was linebred...or at least his papers say he was...it isn't that bad as long as she isn't deformed or anything. If she is a good looking goat with good blood, then I would get her.